What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I download movies bought from iTunes to second iPad (mine and my wife's)?

limeydog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Title. In itunes under Previously Purchased I am offered music and TV Series but not movies? (we share 1 apple id)... Thank you

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have any previously purchased movies available, they will show up in the Videos app (in case you were looking for them in iTunes). Tap the Store button, just like you do in iBooks or Music.

Movies were only recently added to the purchase once, download forever model. Not all movies are available this way; especially movies purchased before the service was enabled.

It has to do with licensing. Movie studios have been a lot more resistant to this model than music and TV show providers.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
If you have any previously purchased movies available, they will show up in the Videos app (in case you were looking for them in iTunes). Tap the Store button, just like you do in iBooks or Music.

Movies were only recently added to the purchase once, download forever model. Not all movies are available this way; especially movies purchased before the service was enabled.

It has to do with licensing. Movie studios have been a lot more resistant to this model than music and TV show providers.

I believe that at this time it only applies if the person is a resident of the United States,with a US iTunes account.It certainly doesn't yet work in Canada.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Didn't think of that. Thanks.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's U.S. only for now. Getting international licensing is a problem that the studios don't seem to be inclined to make easier for anyone (so far).

D

dvdcatalyst

Title. In itunes under Previously Purchased I am offered music and TV Series but not movies? (we share 1 apple id)... Thank you

Since you share the same Apple ID, it should work fine. You can hook up to 5 (if I recall correctly) devices/computers to 1 account, so purchased content will be usable on all 5.

If you and your wife are using different computers, you might have to fill up her iPad (or yours) on the computer that has the content on it, and then hook it up to the computer that doesn't have them and transfer purchases though.

OP
L

limeydog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, I still can't resolve this problem. Just FYI I am in the UK. When I go to video, only the movies I bought direct to this iPad are there. None of the movies I bought on my iPhone, and likewise none of the movies I put on my wife's iPad at the weekend.

If I go from here to the Store, then to Previous Purchases, I am not offered a Films option, just TV and Music.... :-(

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
limeydog said:
Thanks for the responses, I still can't resolve this problem. Just FYI I am in the UK. When I go to video, only the movies I bought direct to this iPad are there. None of the movies I bought on my iPhone, and likewise none of the movies I put on my wife's iPad at the weekend.

If I go from here to the Store, then to Previous Purchases, I am not offered a Films option, just TV and Music.... :-(

Since this service is not available in the U.K., your only option is to sync through iTunes on a computer. To get a copy into iTunes you use the Transfer Purchases option with the first iPad (right click on the iPad under the Devices list and select. You can then sync it to the other iPad.

If you have not been syncing your iPad's with iTunes, you will need to do the Transfer Purchases with both devices, and go to the files menu in iTunes to Authorize your computer.

OP
L

limeydog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you twerpoet and community for helping much appreciated. Your last suggestion sounds like the way forward Twer, I will try this. Thanks very much

Most reactions

Latest posts