What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I disable the iPad keyboard?

mimi85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard cover (bluetooth) since i'm so clumsy trying to use the iPad keyboard. I know how to make the keyboard "disappear" for a particular site however is there a way to disable it so I can just use the Logitech? I'm pretty much homebound due to health issues, so I won't be carting it around very much. Thanks for your help!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure I understand what's happening here. I use the Apple BT keyboard and when it's active it automatically prevents the onscreen keyboard from appearing.

I assumed all BT keyboards would do this. If the keyboard is onscreen you can get rid of it by touching the bottom of the rightmost key on the bottom row.

Can't suggest much else, as there don't appear to be any options in either Settings/Keyboard or Settings/Accessibility.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
M

mimi85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Logitech apparently doesn't prevent the keyboard from showing up. It's SO frustrating! Thanks for the help, I know about the right key on the bottom row, however that just works for the site you're on. Argh! Maybe i'll try and contact Logitech. AppleCare was no help at all, which is strange as they have always been super good. Well, off to play with the bluetooth function. I really thought it would be more intuitive as I've had my iMac for over 4 years. Thanks again for your suggestions!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No problem. I'm surprised. The Apple KB even disables the onscreen KB on the lock screen, which can be somewhat frustrating when you want to enter your password, and have to dig out the KB from wherever it is hiding.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Furzzul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Logitech apparently doesn't prevent the keyboard from showing up. It's SO frustrating! Thanks for the help, I know about the right key on the bottom row, however that just works for the site you're on. Argh! Maybe i'll try and contact Logitech. AppleCare was no help at all, which is strange as they have always been super good. Well, off to play with the bluetooth function. I really thought it would be more intuitive as I've had my iMac for over 4 years. Thanks again for your suggestions!

I have a Logitec keyboard for my ipad 3. As soon as I switch it on the on screen keyboard does not appear. I can only suggest that you try pairing it with the ipad again. Sorry I can not be more helpful.

OP
M

mimi85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all. After talking to Logitech, it appears I got a dud keyboard (or the customer service was a dud) :rolleyes: back to Costco it goes.Take care! Jennifer

Most reactions

Latest posts