What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I copy music from pc to Ipad and Iphone wirelessly

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My PC, my Ipad and my Iphone all share the same itunes account. I really, really, really, really, do not like having to plug in the devices to pc to copy over music. I set up home sharing, but have no idea how to use it. With my Ipad and Iphone on the same home wifi network as my pc, can I copy songs from my pc's iphone library wirelessly?

OP
D

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks but I will pass. I don't use either. On Principle I am not setting up the cloud for this. It is absurd to have to copy music to a remote server, when I am in front of all of my devices.

Nick Burns

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you misunderstand how iTunes Match works. Unlike Google Music, you do not upload your music to the cloud. iTunes Match will scan your music's metadata and then make that song available to all devices. Any song NOT purchased through iTunes will count towards your 25,000 songs. Only songs NOT matched will be uploaded, so if you have a lot of obscure songs, then yes you will have to upload a lot of music. Do some research on it, it's really worth it. I'm thinking of switching on iTunes Match myself once I get my computer up and running again.

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you misunderstand how iTunes Match works. Unlike Google Music, you do not upload your music to the cloud. iTunes Match will scan your music's metadata and then make that song available to all devices. Any song NOT purchased through iTunes will count towards your 25,000 songs. Only songs NOT matched will be uploaded, so if you have a lot of obscure songs, then yes you will have to upload a lot of music. Do some research on it, it's really worth it. I'm thinking of switching on iTunes Match myself once I get my computer up and running again.

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

Does music match give you a chance to kill the process if you find that you are going to be uploading a lot of music? Is it an "all or nothing" process, or one which allows you to pick and choose what you upload? I ask because I've been considering it, but I have a lot of obscure music.

michelleo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too have done this. When I had 2 pc's I could copy music through home share easily there and back. With th I pad I can stream the music but can't seem to copy it.

Wolfhead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My PC, my Ipad and my Iphone all share the same itunes account. I really, really, really, really, do not like having to plug in the devices to pc to copy over music. I set up home sharing, but have no idea how to use it. With my Ipad and Iphone on the same home wifi network as my pc, can I copy songs from my pc's iphone library wirelessly?
Actually, there's an easy way to copy virtually any data from and to your pc if you know how to share a folder.

- share a folder on your pc containing the data you want to transfer
- get a file browsing app (I use and recommend GoodReader [sorry, cannot provide a link yet, so just find it in the app store])
- access the shared folder from your ipad (in GoodReader, click "connect to servers", refresh list, then choose your pc, log in with your pc-username and password, then select the folder)
- select and download the data to your ipad and/or set up synchronisation

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you do not want to use a computer, then you can use Bluetooth connectivity to transfer songs. You have to turn the Bluetooth capability on, for both the iPhone and the iPad. Select the kind of songs you want and connect to the device. After you are done, check your settings to turn off the Bluetooth.
It's not possible to use Bluetooth on a stock iPad to transfer songs this way.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts