What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I buy direct from USA?

Quesada

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I live in the UK and would like to purchase my first ever Ipad and having been a 'microsoft' gal all my computing life have a few questions.

If I buy Ipad2 3g direct from USA will there by any initial compatabiity problems with setting it up back here in UK. Will progammes/APPS have to be re-configured to UK settings?

Will it be locked to AT&T 3g, or will I be ok with one of our own UK 3g providers without having any unlocking hassles.

Would there by any synchronisastion issues with my UK laptop (XP home)

Presume Warranty not an issue with country of residence.

Sorry if the above seem a bit basic but really have no knowledge of Apple systems and if there are any differences between countires. If I can purchase direct from USA this would save me quite a bit of money, even with the exchange rate our prices across the 'pond' here are quite a bit higher in comparision to the US. Plus, my Dad is thinking of getting himself an Ipad and if I can save him some money too - brownie points for me:)!!

Many thanks.
Michelle

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are no issues using an iPad purchased in the US anywhere else in the world other than the power plug. You will need either an adapter or to purchase a new charger locally to fit your wall socket.

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
I bought mine on a trip through US, living here in Germany.
No problems at all, as initial setup is done with your Apple ID - there the country sttings, language etc. will be taken from.
Regarding the power plug you can use a simple power adapter or get a new/ spare charger which is pretty cheap.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You will have to think about VAT/duty, so by the time you add that on its really not worth the hassle.

A 32GB AT&T costs $729 = £469 + 20% VAT = £562.80

UK version = £579, then add in the cost of a UK adapter,

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

OP
Q

Quesada

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your helpful advice guys, will certianly take on board VAT issue.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And, just as a reminder - if you DO buy an iPad from the USA, make sure it's the AT&T version, NOT the Verizon one. Then, you can change out the SIM card.

You probably already knew this, just wanted to make sure.... :)

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts