What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I backup the 5.1.1 on my Ipad in Nov 2012 after signing window

phillwilson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have looked at pages and pages pertaining to many situations,but I can't find one that fits mine.

I have just bought an Ipad 2 running 5.1.1

I will be jailbreaking this using absinthe

What I need to know is, once I have a Jailbroken 5.1.1 on my ipad2, can I then somehow back up this state so that if my ipad crashes or something I can restore it back to this state?

I have no intention of moving to different versions (unless apple somehow force me onto a higher OS)..but if they did, is there a way once i have saved my 5.1.1 state, that i can get back there?

I know about the existence of tiny umbrella, shshs blobs etc, but I dont know if i can safely save my current 5.1.1 or if its already too late even though it is my current IOS?

Whilst I am here, any further advice on how to make sure I don't accidentally update/auto update...i just need a jailbroken pad on 5.1.1 for the foreseeable as i am only running music apps on it.

thanks for your time

Phill

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you just bought that iPad2 new and it came with iOS 5.0.1, then I am afraid there is no way to save that iOS's SHSH blobs. You can only save blobs when Apple is authorizing that iOS version. And, that window closed a long time ago.

So, all I can suggest is to download Tiny Umbrella and start saving each iOS version's blobs. won't help now, but at least it'll prepare you for the future.

Then, you'll just have to be careful with that jail break. Only install tweaks from the default repositories and try to stick with the ones that are more established. Cutting edge tweaks are not really for you, sorry. You'll want to research the tweaks you want to install on the iPad. The best place I can recommend to start is to take a look at our best tweaks thread here:

The good news is that as long as you don't put UN-tested tweaks on it, your iPad will run fine on iOS 5.0.1. You won't really have to worry about losing the jail break. Plus, we are all waiting for a jail break for iOS 6.x, so that will be something to look forward to.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news - though its not really that bad. At least you CAN jail break it. :) You just can't "save" anything about it.

To protect yourself from "accidentally" upgrading, you can download the free Cydia tweak "No Update." It'll stop the iPad from looking for an update. It won't stop Apple from telling you there is an update (but, you can get the free tweak "noOTA badge" that'll take that red notification badge off your Settings app).

Ih, and as an owner of a jail broken iPad - never, ever go near the "Reset" section in your Settings app. That WILL mess up your jail break beyond repair.

Good luck with the jail break and have fun with it.

Marilyn

OP
P

phillwilson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your detailed reply, whilst its a shame i wasnt the news i had hoped for, it is very important that I knew it.

I will just have to be very careful with the tweaks I apply , to be honest there are only a few that seem vital and they are all well established on 5.1.1 I had seen videos of them on other peoples setups.

and , like you said, theres always the possibility that one day we can get to 6. something.

thanks for all the detail it has really helped.

one last thing, if you can spare a minute, you said that I can "download Tiny Umbrella and start saving each iOS version's blobs. won't help now, but at least it'll prepare you for the future. "...i dont quite understand this, is there a way for me to save 6.0 whilst my ipad remains on 5.1.1 or is that something i can only do once 6.0.1 is cracked but before they stop signing it?

thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, you can save SHSH blobs for an iOS you are not on. Have a look at this tutorial/explanation about SHSH blobs (written most excellently by our resident jail break expert f4780y): http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=59291

And, here is the tutorial on how to use Tiny Umbrella to save your blobs: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=42301

The key is, you do NOT have to be jail broken to save blobs, nor do you have to be on the iOS for the blobs you are saving. The only requisite is that Apple is approving the blobs you want to save. Which is why you should start saving blobs as soon as you can, before Apple closes the window.

So, yeah, you can save SHSH blobs for iOS 6.0.1 - the most current iOS. Then, as Tiny Umbrella gets updated, you make it a habit to save each new iOS version's blobs.

Hope that helps.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts