What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I add PDFs to iPad without losing existing docs?

Krobsten

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm traveling with a pc laptop and my iPad. I have some PDFs I want to add, but I don't want to sync to laptop (my Mac at home is main computer with all my files). I'm worried I'll lose everything in the process. I own everything, but since the PDFs I created are at home I can't afford to delete them. I just want to add the new PDFs without losing the old ones. Any ideas how I can do this away from my home computer? Any help would be most appreciated.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're a subscriber to MobileMe (the Apple cloud service) then you could save them to your MobileMe iDisk from your Mac and then download them on your iPad.

Or you could email them to yourself and download the email on your iPad.

I use PrintCentral - which allows you to WiFi transfer files from your PC/Mac to your iPad. GoodReader is another app that enables you to do this.

In all of these cases, when the files arrive, you'll be able to save them to iBooks. For example, if you were to email the PDF files to yourself then, depending on how big they are, the iPad mail program will either display them immediately or offer you the option of downloading them, where they will be displayed in the iPad mail program. In the top right hand corner of the display will be the 'Export' icon (curled arrow) and that will offer you the option to 'Open in iBooks'. If the arrow 'disappears' (to give you a full screen display) touching the screen will temporarily bring the option back again.

Tim
Scotland

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GoodReader is a nice app to manage PDF files. It will snatch them from your web browser, store them in your iPad to whatever app you choose. No need to sync. In fact I haven't synced since installing OS4.2... Maybe I should! :grin:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet, another Forum poster, is the world's expert on sync using iTunes, so hopefully he'll get back to you. I simply either email the PDFs to myself or use a cloud server. If you've only a few to send, email is quick and simple. Once you've received the email with the attachment, you can open it up from *within* Mail (if it doesn't open up automatically) by touching the icon of the PDF attachment (it may need a little time to download).

When Mail opens up the PDF you'll see a little 'curly arrow' towards the top right-hand side of the screen. Press that (or touch the PDF again if it disappears) and you'll be offered the option to 'Open in iBooks'.

Tim
Scotland

Dvmpiper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sinayi said:
I want to transfer PDFs into iBooks using my computer at work. When I enable the ’sync books’ option I get a warning that all the existing books already on my phone will be erased!
Any ideas?
Thanks

You should be able to use iTunes to sync it. You may have to designate where to put them when you do. If you are familiar w/ the synch process, backup your unit before you attempt anything. You should be able to put the books back on if they are removed from your iPad.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any app that reads PDF will enable you to save a document to iBooks.

The simplest is to email the document to yourself. Then when you tap the attachment, a dialog box asks you which app you want to use to open that attachment.

sinaqin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any app that reads PDF will enable you to save a document to iBooks.

The simplest is to email the document to yourself. Then when you tap the attachment, a dialog box asks you which app you want to use to open that attachment.
That is what i want to say.Good advince!

Most reactions

Latest posts