What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can anyone tell me why I can't open this properly on ipad?

Parrori1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I didn't use anything to open it. I just pinched the teensy pic in your message and the pic got larger till it was all visible.

You can then tap on the top right and options to open in iBooks, dropbox and a couple of other choices.

Update. No pics show up, just text, icons and charts.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Did it have the pictures in it, not just the floor plans, but the pictures of the outsides of the buildings? On my iPad (before re-saving it) the first couple pages after the title page were blocks of text and large blank areas.

Here is what it looks like after exporting (and super compressed by Preview to save space).

Edit: For whatever reason the attachment is not showing up in the IPF app. Here's a link instead.

Attachments

• Brouchure-sm.pdf
    910.9 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

Parrori1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No pictures. Also the one I opened had final draft in the link where as the one with the pics has "brochure". So I don't understand.

However, using your link, everything is visible and be saved to iBooks and dropbox, with pictures.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The pictures were compressed using some method that the iPad does not understand, so that they don't open in the document. Computer's generally have much larger libraries of decompression algorithms (because theres plenty of room to support even rare methods.

By opening the PDF in another program and forcing it to save the PDF again using it's own compression software you can make the pictures available on the iPad again. Assuming it uses the more common algorithms, which most free and cheap software does.

Despite PDF being an open standard, some implementations are more standard than others.

Using Preview on an iMac works especially well, since Apple is more likely to support their own subset of the standards. The only problem is that Preview currently has two compression methods. One does little, and the file was 35MB (as opposed to the original 6MB). The second is full on, and while the file got smaller (less than 1MB), the quality of the pictures went way down; notice how bad it looks the moment you zoom in a bit. You can even see some artifacts with out zooming. The original pictures were much higher quality.

Last edited:
OP
addiosamigo

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Did it have the pictures in it, not just the floor plans, but the pictures of the outsides of the buildings? On my iPad (before re-saving it) the first couple pages after the title page were blocks of text and large blank areas.

Here is what it looks like after exporting (and super compressed by Preview to save space).

Edit: For whatever reason the attachment is not showing up in the IPF app. Here's a link instead.

How did you make it such a small file??

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

How did you make it such a small file??

There are some filters that can be applied using Preview. They use Apple's Quartz technology. Mostly they convert the PDF's color options, like turning all the pictures blue-tone, sepia, black and white, stuff like that. I used the one designed to reduce a PDF's size. I think it's supposed to be optimized for 72dpi (typical computer display), but you can see errors in the pictures even at that resolution.

I'm not familiar enough with Cute PDF to know if it has some quality/size adjustments, but it's worth looking around to see.

Most reactions