What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can anyone tell me why I can't open this properly on ipad?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Huh, that is weird. I tried to open it in Atomic Web Browser (in the same tab and in an alternate tab). Then, I downloaded it to Atomic. Tried to open the PDF in both Atomic and GoodReader. Still no picures. So, I sent it to Dropbox (from within Atomic). Still no. Sent it to iAnnotate from Dropbox - no again!

Those pictures do not want to show up on the iPad, no matter which program I use. And yes, the brochure opens fine in my Firefox browser (v5) on my Windows 7 machine.

Nice brochure, BTW - but can't tell you why nothing shows on the iPad...

Marilyn

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
I did the same tests with different pdf views on the iPad, and still no luck. But I opened the pdf on my Ubuntu laptop and found out that the images are taking a longer time to show up. Seems like those images are pretty big, and maybe too big for the iPad to show them.

VicoPad addict!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Some PDF creation tools use compression methods that the iPad does not recognize. The usual fix it to open the PDF on the computer in Preview (Mac), Adobe Reader, or some other PDF viewer/editor, then use Save As (Export in OSX Lion) to recreate the file without the compression.

I've doen this many a time with Preview on my iMac, and it almost always works. I'm not certain about Adobe Reader. One way to see if it (probably) worked is to compare the file info on the before and after file. The after file should be bigger.

I'm testing this now on my Mac, but it's taking a while for the emails to go through. I'll do a follow up to let you know if it worked or not. I can only test Preview. I don't have Adobe Reader or other software to test. I've heard the Cute PDF works as well.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I got tired of waiting for the larger file to get through mail; so I used File Sharing through iTunes on the 35MB file. That's the bad news. The new file is about 6 times larger than the original. The good new is it displays just fine.

We've seen this before. A couple months back a student had a text book from a site that used some super-compresion method that made them unreadable on the iPad. The ratio was about the same.

Last edited:
OP
addiosamigo

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah ok! Thanks for that, so I'm guessing the original file was compressed because of it's size?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ah ok! Thanks for that, so I'm guessing the original file was compressed because of it's size?

Yes, well, all PDF files are compressed to some extent. The compression used in the original file is pretty good. It's less than 6MB. With all the photos it contains thats pretty darn good compression for the quality of the photos it retained.

I could have compressed the PDF using Preview, but it's compression engine is not as good as whatever the first file was compressed with. I can make it smaller (about 1MB) but the quality suffers. It's still good enough for reading (and probably the iPad) but it would make a lousy print.

I suppose if I could find a finer grain of control I might be able to reproduce the same file size and quality while making it iPad compatible (shrug). But it's an on/off feature in the current version of Preview (at least that's all I've found so far).

OP
addiosamigo

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok thanks for all your help! Can I do the same as you've done with any free programs on windows?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
At least one other member reported success using Cute PDF. At least, that's the only free program I can remember being mentioned.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. Be sure to let us know if it works, or not. Keeps us honest, and helps promote a wider variety of mistakes and misinformation. :D

Parrori1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It opened fine in my ipad for me. All I did was reverse pinch it and kept making it larger, exposing a 12 page brochure.

OP
addiosamigo

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Parrori1 said:
It opened fine in my ipad for me. All I did was reverse pinch it and kept making it larger, exposing a 12 page brochure.

What app did you use? Goodreader?

Most reactions

Latest posts