What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can an ipad, initially w/ the same apple id,,,,

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
,,,as another ipad, be changed to a different id.

initially, when we got our ipads, in order to save money we shared the same id and apps. we have the same appleID, same apple email address. now we want to play in game center, but of course we have the same id. can one apple id be changed so that both ipads can play together in game center?

if that can be done will itunes recognize both id's separately even though we use the same itunes on the same computer?

thx

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's possible to change the Apple ID. To do this, go to Settings - iTunes & App Stores, tap the Apple ID and sign out. Then you have two choices: either "Create Apple ID" in case you didn't create a second ID yet, or Sign In if you already set up a different Apple ID.

If you choose Create..., you'll have to enter a payment method and information to your country, ...
That done, the iPad will now work with the new ID. The apps that were loaded before will still be availble and can be updated using the password from the first Apple ID. Also the settings won't change.

It's possible that you have to go to Settings - Game Center afterwards, sign out and sign in with the new Apple ID. I don't use it, so I can't tell you for sure.

It should be possible to still use the same Apple ID in App Store, but a different one in Game Center. So you can play against each other, but there's no confusion with apps, music, iBooks, ...

To manage different Apple ID with one computer, look at this link, it shows a few options: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1495

Last edited:
OP
A

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i signed into itunes with a new appleID/password.

however when i went to game center to create and id using the newly created id, it was not accepted "either id or password is incorrect", in the game center app itself, the former id/password/nickname still remain.

It's possible to change the Apple ID. To do this, go to Settings - iTunes & App Stores, tap the Apple ID and sign out. Then you have two choices: either "Create Apple ID" in case you didn't create a second ID yet, or Sign In if you already set up a different Apple ID.

If you choose Create..., you'll have to enter a payment method and information to your country, ...
That done, the iPad will now work with the new ID. The apps that were loaded before will still be availble and can be updated using the password from the first Apple ID. Also the settings won't change.

It's possible that you have to go to Settings - Game Center afterwards, sign out and sign in with the new Apple ID. I don't use it, so I can't tell you for sure.

It should be possible to still use the same Apple ID in App Store, but a different one in Game Center. So you can play against each other, but there's no confusion with apps, music, iBooks, ...

To manage different Apple ID with one computer, look at this link, it shows a few options: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1495

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In Settings - Game Center, don't choose "Create ID", because you already created a new one. You need to sign out first, then select "Sign In" and use the newly created Apple ID.

Make sure you entered the right email address and password.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts