What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can a 3g ipad bought in america work in korea?

daxter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, i have been living in korea for 4 years now. Somebody i know is coming back from america on friday. I would like him to buy me a 3g ipad. My concern is the facts that koreas carriers are different from americas. They use micro usim cards instead of micro sim and they dont use gsm. They use UMTS. However, the ipad supports

UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
Data only2
Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology

KT, which now has the iphone 4 in korea is the carrier.

KT uses UMTS

KT offers a UMTS 1900Mhz W-CDMA 3G service

W-CMDA = UMTS

So im wondering, will it work?

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I travel a lot for work and I used mine in Korea using my Swiss card. As far as I understand, there are no differences to radios shipped in any iPad.

OP
D

daxter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
do you mean that you bought a micro usim or did you use roaming on your swiss carrier

OP
D

daxter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oh, im wondering if an american bought ipad can have a micro usim from korea be put on it

OP
D

daxter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipads are unlocked to begin with

OP
D

daxter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
unlocked means it can be used on any carriers that support GSM or 3g

Draper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes American iPads can be used in Korea, after they have been certified to run on the network. That requires you leaving the iPad at a government agency for certification (depending on how busy they are, you could be waiting a while). KT also needs to see that it was not imported illegally, so you will need to make sure it is reported by the person bringing it from the US (that site doesn't mention it, but unless they have changed their policy, it may or may not be an issue). The micro-sim is offered by KT, if you meet the other requirements.

http://phonestore.show.co.kr/handler/event/Ipad3g

cocacola15

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oh and if you would ever like to buy apps from the american app store, just make an american account. when your making your account it'll ask for payment information and that info has to be american cards and such. Unless, you put in a gift card. but im sure they dont sell cards in korea. so you can buy online from this website that sells the CODES of the itunes gift cards. quick, safe, and easy. you get a scan of your card so you totally know that its legit.

Legitimate US USA iTunes Gift Card EMail Instant Delivery (Code Certificate Voucher) :)

Most reactions