Camping and the iPad - Preliminary Charging Results Inside

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by NumbLock, Jul 10, 2010.

1. iVan

iVan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Oh yeah, I remember those. They had tiny drills and other stuff that could run on those batteries. VPX if I recall correctly. Did you try the iPad on it?

2. Al Rogers

Al Rogers
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Not yet, but I will try and get a charge out of it and post back.

Al

3. CaptKirk

CaptKirk
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Just curious... How is your 3G connection out in the wild? I've never had any luck 20 miles outside of gas and food..

4. lumberjak

lumberjak
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I bought the Zagg Sparq 2.0 and it will do another 60%+ of an iPad charge. I've just got mine a few days back and have used it only slightly but it's a great backup solution. Plus for my wife's iPod, our cell phones it's also handy.

Though for renewable energy sources I to would like a decent solution I can have in my bag and use as I need it.

5. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    There are lots of flexible/foldable solar panels out there, put you are going to have to spend some green in order to go green! I have seen 10 watt foldable solar panels for $99 and they go up from there.

NumbLock's heart was in the right place, but his math was off a little in terms of power rating.

6. Al Rogers

Al Rogers
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:

Well I tried to charge the ipad with the battery pack and it was a no go,however the ipod it did work.

7. Varjak

Varjak
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Has anyone tried the PowerGorilla & SolarGorilla?

I hear very good things about the PowerGorilla and the SolarGorilla, for charging devices from cellphones to laptops when you're off the grid. A couple of people I follow on Twitter use them and speak very highly of them (though I haven't used them myself)

The PowerGorilla is just a compact, portable battery that stores a charge which you can transfer to your portable device using an appropriate connector (dozens of adaptors come with the PowerGorilla). You can charge the PowerGorilla from the mains before you leave home and then top it up using the SolarGorilla, a solar powered electricity generator.

I'm thinking of buying them myself.

8. Buzzfriend

Buzzfriend
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Really interested in solutions...we are off camping for new years and have a beachfront site...and no power. I could go a park myself in the camp kitchen for hours while the phone, camera and I pad charges...but would love a better solution.

9. WAM

WAM
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    A compact 12V to AC inverter to run your various chargers. Hooked up to the car when it's convenient, or to an 8 D-cell battery holder (and bats) when it isn't.

12V chargers may be more efficient than inverting to use AC. I get 12V chargers for everything I want to charge in our camper. Again, you can power them with 8 D-cells when necessary.

10. ChIpad

ChIpad
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Check walmart if you have one close by, go to automotive and where they keep car batteries, there are portable jumpers/battery packs that have a 12 volt car plug and most have inverters for 110 built in. A lot cheaper than most small battery packs.