What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameras on Ipad V1

Tazman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A friend of mine showed me his new 'gadget', an Ipad the other day. I had been meaning to buy one for the missus for some time. After looking at it, noting that it had a camera I decided to go and get one.

After getting it the other day I have just noticed that it does lack a camera, (didn't realise there was another version with one).

After looking through some websites I have seen talk of the V1 having the space for a camera but Apple deciding not to fit one. Repair shops appear to be taking delivery of the hardwear etc.

Does this point to being able to get one backward engineered with a new bazel etc? Anyone heard of such a thing?

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is one version of the Ipad, no camera, no way to install one. The rumor is, pretty substantial, that Ipad 2 will have a camera. I have no idea what anyone is talking about an Ipad VI LOL. Years down the road. Likely the Ipad 2 won't appear in stores until April.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
. I have no idea what anyone is talking about an Ipad VI LOL. Years down the road. Likely the Ipad 2 won't appear in stores until April.

Me either! I have never heard of Ipad V1. The OP original post was a trip. I was like WHAT?

But yes. The rumor has it that ipad 2 will have a camera.

OP
T

Tazman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By V1 I was trying to refer to the version that is out now. Most of the reviews for it do talk about the expected Ipad 2 and the fact that it is highly likely to have a camera but if you have a read at the PCworld.com website at an article named 'sleuthing for the ipad camera' and particularly
at tuaw.com/2010/02/02/repair-shop-finds-ipads-camera-slot, (sorry, I can't post a link until I have 3 threads), you will see what I am on about.

If the slot exists then it is not beyond the realms of possibilities that the first version, V1, could be re-engineered by an repair shop to have it fitted, along with a new bezel, possibly cheaper than buying a V2.

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tazman said:
By V1 I was trying to refer to the version that is out now. Most of the reviews for it do talk about the expected Ipad 2 and the fact that it is highly likely to have a camera but if you have a read at the PCworld.com website at an article named 'sleuthing for the ipad camera' and particularly
at tuaw.com/2010/02/02/repair-shop-finds-ipads-camera-slot, (sorry, I can't post a link until I have 3 threads), you will see what I am on about.

If the slot exists then it is not beyond the realms of possibilities that the first version, V1, could be re-engineered by an repair shop to have it fitted, along with a new bezel, possibly cheaper than buying a V2.

Scary - plus I don't really want to be caught taking a picture with this giant device :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Henning737

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Spink10 said:
Scary - plus I don't really want to be caught taking a picture with this giant device :)

Totally agree! Tested the galaxy tab - used the camera - felt like an idiot pointing that 7" pad around. Don't think I'd ever use an ipad camera....

Last edited:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well... I have seen something more stupid than taking a picture with a 7" device. I saw someone taking a picture with a 17" laptop...with keyboard facing the subject! It looked like someone with an open candy box. :p

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ah, you meant version 1. Gotcha'.

I agree about using it to take photos (I am a photographer). I can see the camera useful for Skype, face to face, etc but not really for ever taking a photograph. Hope others don't use them this way LOL. Very strange. If you want to photograph with a small device, get a cell, Iphone or Touch or one of the myriad very small relatively inexpensive P&S and stick them in your pocket.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

While yes I suppose you could retro one into the frame there would be no way to attach it to the motherboard, no drivers to make it work and no apps that would work with it...what would be the point?

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gentlefury said:
While yes I suppose you could retro one into the frame there would be no way to attach it to the motherboard, no drivers to make it work and no apps that would work with it...what would be the point?

Plus, the cost of doing all that at close to 100$/hour would be that of a brand new v2...

OP
T

Tazman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skype was the reason for asking, it was just a thought. Thanks for your comments!

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Spink10 said:

Totally agree! Tested the galaxy tab - used the camera - felt like an idiot pointing that 7" pad around. Don't think I'd ever use an ipad camera....

You aren't supposed to use it to take photographs of people, although you can. The reason for a camera on these devices is that it opens up an entirely new world of possibility. See an app you want on a website, just point the camera at the QR code and the app pops open in the market. See a product at a friends house and want to see the cheapest place to buy it near you, pop open google goggles and take a picture of it and instantly you got a list of stores and prices. Going on a trip? Take your Android tablet with you as a tour guide and use Google Goggles again to get information on landmarks. Or that cool iPhone application that would auto-translate signs from one language to another. ETC, ETC, ETC. It makes the device a lot more useful.

Most reactions

Latest posts