What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camera connection USB stick with films???

Mellypops

iPF Noob
Reaction score
H everyone:)

I was wondering if anyone knows if I have the new camera connection kit I,ve seen on eBay for £12 not apples own one but looks more or less the same. Could I plug in my USB stick to it and watch films? Obviously ones saved in the apple format done via handbrake. Just thinking it could save me filling up the iPad and keeping all the kids films ect on sticks instead. Is it possible?

Many thanks Melanie

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The third party SD and USB adaptors do exactly the same thing as Apple's own camera kit. You can copy pictures and video to the ipad from the Cameras and SD cards.

I believe you can also use USB keyboards a few other devices.

But no. You will not be able to watch videos directly from a USB stick. Any video's you watch will first have to be loaded onto the iPad.

There are some streaming video solutions. They are more trouble to set up, the more so if you want to do it outside your own home WiFi network. But you may want to search the threads for streaming video and read up on it a bit.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would think an SD card would be better than a USB drive. More compact.

I may have to pick up a camera connection kit.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not sure you could upload a full movie to the iPad this way. The software is looking for a camera SD card, and I'm not sure how thorough a job it would do searching for movies. It might just look in the DCMI folder and quit.

I should get a kit too. Just to experiment. I actually held one in my hands today, but talked myself out of it. It's only $30, but it's $30 less I have to save up for the iPad 2.

OP
M

Mellypops

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks for all the replies :) I have bought a camera kit and will try out a few of the suggestions! Melanie x

Most reactions

Latest posts