What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camera Connection kit doesnt work at all on Ipad 1

No1zeppelinfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just bought an original Apple Camera connection kit and the Ipad doesnt see any memory cards installed at all. Anyone know if this is normal. Nothing comes up. I have the latest Firmware installed on the Ipad.

OP
No1zeppelinfan

No1zeppelinfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you using an SDHC card? And how much GB does it have?

Have you tried restarting the iPad?

It really should work, so these are just some guesses, in lack of an alternative.

Hiya, Thanks for your help. Yeah, It's a Samsung SDHC 8GB Card. I'll look around and see if I have a smaller one to try.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It really should work OK. I have the kit too and an iPad1 and there's no problem. As DontUnderstandMyIpad suggested, try restarting your iPad - i.e. switching it completely off by holding down the Power button for a couple of seconds and then accepting the slider to power down. This has been known to fix a whole bunch of problems.

Keep in touch if these suggestions don't fix the problem.

Tim
Scotland

kubaysi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
u may try to install iFile or iFiles from the cydia, i heard it's needed!

Reaction score
kubaysi said:
u may try to install iFile or iFiles from the cydia, i heard it's needed!

For accessing photos from a SD card, or via USB from a camera, no extra software is needed. You would need ifiles however, to see/copy other filetypes, besides pictures. But for OP's purposes ifile is not required.

SDHC cards are supported and Apple's troubleshooting only lists one possible solution, restarting, so the issue must be fundamentally simple:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4101

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Restarting fixed everything...:)

But I've found that, when I plug my connection kit in, it takes a while for the iPad to 'recognise' the photos on the card and display them in 'Photos'.

By the way, the photos you're trying to import - what format are they?

Tim
Scotland

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just wondered if the original poster was using RAW files - does the iPad import those? I don't know because I only have a Sony CyberShot...:(

Tim
Scotland

Reaction score
"iPad Camera Connection Kit imports most media files on the camera or SD card, regardless of whether that format is compatible with iPad."

"iPad and the Camera Connection Kit support standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW".

But my RAW files just show up as empty grey images, so they don't seem to be supported too well. They do show up however, so while this is a worthwhile idea, it shouldn't prevent the Camera tab from appearing under Photos.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks - I guess you need a supporting app to display the RAW files. If I had a sophisticated camera......;)

It's good to know though..

Tim
Scotland

OP
No1zeppelinfan

No1zeppelinfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hiya all, Did a hard restart and it did recognise the card reader/adaptor but wouldnt show anything that was on it. I put just 1 x .jpg and 1 x .bmp to test it but still couldn't see them. I'll try again in a moment and do another hard restart and leave it for a while to see if it finds the 2 photos. Failing that I'll download ifile and try that. Thanks all

Reaction score
There is something else to consider: The filenames. They have to follow the scheme they are saved on a camera, l.e. IMG1094.jpg, or the iPad may just refuse to recognize the picture, because Apple only wants you to read images taken with a camera.

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hiya all, Did a hard restart and it did recognise the card reader/adaptor but wouldnt show anything that was on it. I put just 1 x .jpg and 1 x .bmp to test it but still couldn't see them. I'll try again in a moment and do another hard restart and leave it for a while to see if it finds the 2 photos. Failing that I'll download ifile and try that. Thanks all

So, is your iPad jail broken? I thought you could only use iFile on JB iPads?

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts