What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Calender sync with mac

g3org3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering i would like to sync my ipad calendar to my mac without loosing any information from my ipad calendar and i read about how you can transfer from ipad to mac with itunes though it will remove my info for the first time i don't want that. So please if anyone can help me do it another way without loosing info. And another thing is if their is something similar to MobileMe but free.

Thank You.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering i would like to sync my ipad calendar to my mac without loosing any information from my ipad calendar and i read about how you can transfer from ipad to mac with itunes though it will remove my info for the first time i don't want that. So please if anyone can help me do it another way without loosing info. And another thing is if their is something similar to MobileMe but free.

Thank You.

I think the Forum's resident iTunes sync expert is 'twerppoet', who I've been recommending for all sorts of posts today (sorry, twerppoet, - Bottle of the Scottish 'Water of Life' on its way') !! He knows all there is to know about the iTunes sync process, so hopefully he'll respond to your post today.

I am a MobileMe subscriber, but isn't DropBox free??

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can sync your Mac stuff without MobileMe by using iTunes.

Plug in your device to the computer, go to iTunes and select your iPad under devices. Go to the Info tab at the top of the page. Here you can turn on calendar, contact, and other types of syncing directly to iPad. The information should be merged, unless you go to the bottom of the page and choose to overwrite the iPad from the Advanced box.

Now that I've said that, I don't recommend it. You only get updates when you physically sync your iPad. It is not as flexible as cloud based syncing like MobileMe, or Google. Since MobileMe isn't free, and you haven't asked for any of the specific features available, I recommend using Google.

Go to Google and get a GMail account. Set up a calendar while you are at it.

On the iPad, set up a GMail account using these instructions.

Set Up Your Apple Device for Google Sync : Mail, Calendar, & Contacts - Google Mobile Help

At the end of the instructions is a link on how to set up multiple calendars to sync with your iPad. You don't have to do this now. Just bookmark, or make a note of the link for later so you know how to do it when/if you change your mind.

If you use the standard GMail setup you'll be limited to one calendar and won't be able to use Google's contacts later. If those don't matter to you, you can use the standard GMail setup. You can always change your mind later if you don't like them. Removing and adding the account again won't cause any problems.

Be sure to turn off the services you don't want when activating them, for now.

And when it asks if you want to delete or keep the content on your iPad, KEEP it.

On your Mac.

Open the iCal program, go to Preferences from the File menu. In Preferences choose the Account tab. At the bottom of the account list there is a plus minus button. Click on the plus button. Add the new account using your new GMail email address and password. You might as well let it add the Mail and Contacts account when it asks. You can delete them individually later if don't want them.

If it asks you about overwriting or removing any content, just say no.

The Google calendar will show up in iCal and the Calendar app as a separate calendar under your Gmail account. You can move old events over by editing them and choosing the new calendar. Make sure you add events to the Google Calendar when you want them to sync.

You'll also have (unless you chose to turn it off) a new account in Mail and Contacts. These will not interfere with the old accounts, and you might as well keep the GMail account, just so you can make sure it doesn't get full of junk and/or you see important announcements about the service.

The Address Book account on my Mac didn't work. I don't know if this is because i'm already syncing through MobileMe, or something else. So you may not get contact syncing on the Mac this way. You'll just have to try and see. If it doesn't and you want it too, come back and we'll try and figure out how to make it work too.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I think the Forum's resident iTunes sync expert is 'twerppoet', who I've been recommending for all sorts of posts today (sorry, twerppoet, - Bottle of the Scottish 'Water of Life' on its way') !! He knows all there is to know about the iTunes sync process, so hopefully he'll respond to your post today.

I do not know all. I just have too much time on my hands, so (sometimes) I'm willing to experiment. Fortunately no one can tell if I've read the posts with your recommendations, so I can just pretend I didn't read all of them. So far, that is actually the truth. ;)

OP
G

g3org3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought mobile me how do I set up mobile me with iPad and Mac calendars.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
g3org3 said:
I bought mobile me how do I set up mobile me with iPad and Mac calendars.

On your Mac, open iCal, go to prefrences, accouts, and add your new account. You can do the same for the Mail and Address Book programs. It might even offer the option to set them all up at once. Been a long time since I had to do this. Do all your calendar creation on the Mac. Same goes for folders in Mail and Groups in Address Book.

On you iPad, go to Settings >> Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Add Account. Choose the MobileMe default. Use your Apple ID as password and email.

Thats all there is to it.

Something othe things you can do.

Open Settings on your Mac and go to the MobileMe settings. You can setup some other syncing options there, like your Safari bookmarks and such.

Grab the iDisk app from the App Store for your iPad.

Don't forget to visit me.com on the web and explore what you can do there. You have to do this on a computer. The iPad will tell you to use the apps.

That is all for now. You will find other uses as you go along.

Most reactions

Latest posts