What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Calendar won't open after IOS5 update

Euderma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Wsork-around"

My iPad 1 shows the blank calendar now more often. I was able to confirm a "Work around" I found on an Apple forum: if for example the month of November is blank, I tap October which fills in immediately, then tap November, and there it is filled in again. This is one tap less than going to calendar uncheck and immediately recheck "My calendar" or whatever your calendar is named. I strongly believe it is an iOS5 issue as I never saw this before the update, can't prove it though, just my "hunch" as a retired high-tech guy :)
Euderma

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. We can hope it goes away with a future update. One of the nice things about iOS 5 is that they can do the smaller updates and hopefully address problems sooner.

My Calendar has appeared blank a couple times since my previous post. However I've not had to do anything but wait a few seconds. It looks like it is waiting until it can contact iCloud and check for updates before displaying, since it displays as soon as the spinning wheel at the top left of the status bar is done. That takes about 5 seconds on my connection.

Euderma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Twerpoet, I would like to summarize the findings and maybe you as a senior member of this forum can send our troubleshooting reaults to the Apple iPad team, to do their own test and then work on a fix; perhaps they monitor this website?
SUMMARY:
- Several members on this and an Apple forum have experienced "Blank calendars" on iPad 1 and iPad 2 devices after the iOS5 upgrade
- If calendar synchs with iClouds (Twerpoet) just waiting a few seconds brings up calendar information
- If calendar is synched over iTunes with iCal as my wife does on her iPad 2, waiting does not bring up the calendar info
- If calendar is synched via Microsoft Exchange server to Windows Live calendar, or IMAP protocol to Google calendar, simply waiting does not bring up the calendar info on my iPad1, even after "spinning Wheel" is finnished
- Going to calendar and pressing refresh does not bring up the calendar info, even though the spinning wheel is finnished
- Quick fix or work-around for the last two situations: pressing a different month, or pressing Week, Day or Year, if current View is on Month brings up calendar information immediately

Hope this helps for somebody to find the root cause for this so that a real fix can be implemented

GREAT forum discussion,
Euderma

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Here is the link for giving feedback to Apple. It is best you send it. If they want clarification or more information (unlikely but possible) they will know who to contact. Having spent this much time on the problem and having direct experience with it, you are the expert, not me. :)

Apple - iPad - Feedback

Euderma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DONE, Just sent the summary to the link you provided, thank you. I will keep the forum updated if I hear from the Apple IPad team.
Happy Thanksgiving,
Euderma

Last edited:

kcarper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just signed on to the Forum for the first time, because I am experiencing similar problems with Calendar since upgrading my iPad1 to iOS 5. Not only did all my calendar appointments disappear, but I cannot add an appointment to the new calendar. The "+" sign has been replaced by a "search" window which will not go away. I have reset and completely restored (from backup) with no result. Will be following the forum for updates on this problem. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Great forum! Discovering this forum is one positive outcome from the problem I have been experiencing; we are not alone!

kcarper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Back again. Found the solution (for me anyway) on another forum. In some cases, apparently, this has to do with the iCloud. If you go to "Settings" for "iCloud" and then turn iCloud on for both Contacts and Calendar, the problem may go away, as it did for me. All my old data for Calendar reappeared, along with the "+" sign for adding appointments. (stupid iCloud!) :)
Hope this can help you all.

Most reactions