What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Calendar, very basic usage

Richard Hexter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my calendar the same as I would one hanging on my kitchen wall. I simply write (post) future events on it. I want to 'use different colour pens' to write on my calendar, in order to link certain types of events to the eye. For example, I want to make all hospital visits have the same colour background, I want to have all dance nights have a different colour background (but because they're dance related they would be the same colour), visits by grandchildren would be a different colour, holidays different again, and so it goes on. The actual wording used would need to be different, such as 'Richard to cardiac dept' and 'Ann to gyne'. Basically, I would like to see an entry on the creation page that asks 'backgound colour'. A highlighter pen is what I'm looking for!! Am I reaching for the stars?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can have several calendars in the Calendar app, each with it's own color. All Day events look like they are highlighted. Hour events have a colored dot next to them.

To creat a new calendar tap the Calendars button at the bottom of the screen, then Edit. You can choose to view selected caledars or all of them. Tap them to place a check mark next to the ones you want to be visible.

image.png

When you create a new event you can choose what Calendar it belongs to by editing the details. In Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars you can choose which calendar is the default when you create a new event.

There are quite a few different calendar apps, but most of them work this way. Many of them will sync automatically with the native Calendar app, so you don't have to recreate your calendars and events, and those will still sync through iCloud. My prefered app is Fantastical 2. Calendar 5 is also popular. If you hunt around you'll probably find one that looks close to the way you want.

image.png

As for marking events and days with colors manually, I'm not aware of any calendar app that will do that. Not that I'm familiar with more than a fraction of the calendar apps out there.

OP
Richard Hexter

Richard Hexter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for this - I'm almost there! Can I change the colours manually? I currently have 2 calendars with the same (I assume default) colour - red. Also, how do I add more calendars and designate the ascribed colours please?

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As before, tap the Calendar button at the bottom of the screen; then tap Edit.

image.png

Choose either Add Calendar (for a new one) or tap on the calendar you want to change. You can not change the color/icon of the Birthday calendar. This special calendar adds events from you Contacts app if you have any birthdate entered there.

image.png

Tap on the color you want for that calendar. There are only seven choices in the native calendar app, but that is probably enough for most people.

image.png

Most reactions

Latest posts