What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Calendar inaccuracies

Status
Not open for further replies.

kburel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm reading a diary from John Wesley. An entry is date Sunday, January 8, 1738. When I check that date in my iPad calendar it says that 1/8/1738 was a Wednesday. Why the discrepancy?

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wrong day

Probably the calendar has changed sense then. Check Wikipedia, it's interesting. As the calendar was updated to be more accurate, many countries were slow to adopt the new calendars, probably causing some dates to be off by a few days.

baxlobs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The calendar in Great Britain was changed from the Julian to the Gregorian in 1750, the change led to protests as many people thought their lives had been shortened by 11 days. "Give us back our 11 days" There was also concern about pay.

See this link. Calendar (New Style) Act 1750 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This would be the most likely explanation for the OPs problem?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is this a metaphorical thread wherein we're really talking about the iPad and the fact that according to some members on this forum--Apple just can't do anything right?

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, it's about how calendars have changed over time.

Is this a metaphorical thread wherein we're really talking about the iPad and the fact that according to some members on this forum--Apple just can't do anything right?
.title says it all.

OP
kburel

kburel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So we all agree that the calendar app as we have it right now is inaccurate

Thank you all for your comments. I think we have reached agreement that the calendar app for the iPad in its current state is inaccurate for giving days of the week past 1750. Calendars are fun to program when you take into account the added days for leap years and the change in the calendar in the 1700s to get the calendar back in sync with the astronomical year. I wish the calendar app took all this into account. Why not have an app that asks where the calendar is for and then takes all these exceptions into account. That would be a great improvement over the app that we have now.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure no-one would object if you wrote one, but really? would there be enough interest in whether Samuel Pepys was writing on a Sunday or a Wednesday to make it worth it? To me, it's just an extra layer of complexity that is unnecessary for the vast majority of users.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh snap my favorite novel in 1791 was written on Saturday instead on Friday that's it I'm done with Apple next stop Android!

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts