1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Calendar in Offline Mode

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Pjda, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Pjda

Pjda iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've just spent the last hour trying to find out if the IPAD native calendar app will allow me to view/edit calendar entries while offline from the internet. It doesn't appear to be possible but I've been unable to find a single article that talks about it.
    Can anyone enlighten me?
    Thank you.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  2. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,686 / 0
    As far as I can tell, yes, you can.

Here's how I tested it out (hopefully, I understood your question): I turned off WiFi and 3G on my iPad1 (running iOS 5.0.1). I then went into the Calendar app, which is hooked into Gmail normally. I made a test entry on it for today. I also was able to scroll through the months and such to see other appointments already on my calendar - no problems.

I then turned back on my WiFi. I did see a spinning wheel icon in the upper left for a bit... I went to my iPhone, which also has my calendar hooked into the same Gmail account, and opened up the Calendar app. After a bit, that test appointment appeared on the iPhone.

Then, for the heck of it, I turned off the WiFi/3G again on the iPad. I then deleted the test appointment on the iPhone. I went back to the iPad and the test appointment was still there (obviously - no access). So, I turned on the iPad's WiFi. A few seconds later, that test appointment disappeared from the iPad.

So, I can only assume you can sync calendars across devices (at least those connected via Gmail). Note that I am not using iCloud or anything like that, just Gmail. But, I was able to see everything already in the calendar on the iPad without WiFi and I got near instantaneous updates.

I hope this reassures you. If I've somehow misunderstood your question, please let me know if there is anything else I can test for you. Good luck.

Marilyn