What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Calendar event won't update, others will.

nettski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 7 events on my calendar which repeat every 2 weeks, they were all added at the same time over a year ago. I have both ipad and iphone and the calendar syncs ok. I sometimes add notes or locations to individual dates and save 'for this event only'. I have just put in different locations on a number of them and then went through them to check I hadn't missed any. One of them wasn't updated so I changed it, I then noticed it had reverted back to the original entry, I tried changing it on my phone and the same thing happened. I have compared it to the other events and they are all set up the same way. I tried deleting the event both ways (for this event only and all future events) it disappears for a few seconds then comes back. I've changed the settings to sync all events on both phone and ipad, I've tried closing the calendar by sliding it up, I've tried rebooting the ipad, none of these have worked and I have run out of ideas. Any clues?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If it is an iCloud calendar go to icloud.com on a computer and see what you can do with it there. The same thing with Gmail or Yahoo or Hotmail, check them out on their web sites.

Provided all the information is correct on the web site, you can turn off your calendars in the account's settings, delete from the device, then turn the calendars back on.

When they re-sync the calendar should clear up any conflicts, hopefully un-sticking the problem event.

OP
N

nettski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it is an iCloud calendar go to icloud.com on a computer and see what you can do with it there. The same thing with Gmail or Yahoo or Hotmail, check them out on their web sites.

Provided all the information is correct on the web site, you can turn off your calendars in the account's settings, delete from the device, then turn the calendars back on.

When they re-sync the calendar should clear up any conflicts, hopefully un-sticking the problem event.

Thanks for your help, I tried changing it on icloud.com and it comes up with " Couldn't save changes to "work" because of a server error. Please try again. I tried changing the other dates and they were fine. I tried deleting it and a similar message "Couldn't delete "work" because of a sever error", came up. "work" is the name of the event, I mentioned this because the calendar is also called work.
It gives me the option to Report, should I do this?

OP
N

nettski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried adding a new event to the same day and it let me add it but I can't amend it or delete it, I guess I'm just going to have to live with it or go back to a paper diary!
Many thanks for your help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Did you try turning off calendars, then turning them back on as I suggested earlier? It's a good idea to open the Calendar app inbetween to make sure they calendars are gone.

OP
N

nettski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you try turning off calendars, then turning them back on as I suggested earlier? It's a good idea to open the Calendar app inbetween to make sure they calendars are gone.

I did what you said, have a weird result. I still can't delete the original event but I have managed to update the new one which I added earlier today. So it's half worked, I'm happy with that, I can live with the old one being there.

Many thanks for all your help.

OP
N

nettski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh dear, I looked at it this morning and it's reverted back again. It's doing the same as before but taking longer to revert back so I thought it had worked but it hasn't. At one point I thought I had managed to delete the old event then suddenly it was back. When I'm next in town I'll take it to an Apple store.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
How are you syncing your calendars, and with how many devices and/or computers?

Right now I'm out of ideas. If I know more about your exact setup I might get a few others.

One unlikley thing. If you are using iTunes on the computer, make sure you are not syncing your calendars or contacts through it. Using both the computer and the online syncing can cause all kinds of problems.

OP
N

nettski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I only use the ipad and iphone, I never use the computer, I only went on it to access icloud.com to see if I could change it from there as you suggested.
I don't want to take up too much of your time, I thought there might have been an easy answer but it looks like there's some sort of glitch with the server.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, I'd be happy to give you more of my time, if I had any more ideas on what is going on.

If by chance you are using a newer iPad and have Applecare, don't forget you have free Technical Support (two years).

Hm. Another shot in the dark. Is the Calendar shared with anyone?

OP
N

nettski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks I really appreciate your help.
It's an ipad 2 and the phone is an iphone 4, the calendar isn't shared with anyone.
I keep testing it by trying to delete the old event and updating the new one and they were reverting back, I tried about an hour ago and the old event has come back but the new one is still in it's updated state so I'm back to how it was yesterday evening.
I'll check it again in the morning.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you turned off the Calendar and then turned it back on, did you turn it off for both devices?

If not, try turing it off on both devices at the same time, then syncing back to just one to test, then the other and test again.

Just more variations, to see if it will fix the problem, or at least offer another clue.

Most reactions