1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Bye Bye Zagg Folio ... Hello Belkin Folio

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by Mickeylittle, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    The wife and I got the Zagg BT Keyboard Folio cases and had a couple of problems such as mine not being for the 3rd generation iPad and hers messing up her Zagg Invisible Shield where the rubber bumpers on the keyboard rub up against the iPad. And the shield damage occurred within a day so we sent both cases back and continued our search for the "perfect BT keyboard case for our new iPads. Well there isn't one, obviously but we are both happy with the Belkins that we ordered from Amazon and had less than a week after ordering. Here is a link if you are interested in looking at what is working for us.

Amazon.com: Belkin Keyboard Folio for New Apple iPad 3rd Generation, HD, 1080P, WiFi, 4G LTE, AT & T, Verizon (Black): Computers & Accessories
  2. AFAngryWarrior

AFAngryWarrior iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I've experienced just the opposite. I love the Zaggfolio on my new iPad. I bought it for my iPad 2 and when I got the new iPad I didn't think it would fit but it does. I have a case friendly screen protector so it doesn't get caught by the edges of a case so my screen protector is still perfectly flat and I like the Zagg keyboard design better than any of the others I've tried including the apple stand alone BT keyboard.
  3. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    I'm glad it is working so well for you. We were both really disappointed with the screen protector damage on my wife's iPad and I spent $53 on my screen protector at Best Buy so I didn't want to risk it. I got the Zagg HD for $34.99 and paid $15 to have it installed plus tax!

We both like the keyboards and the way that the case works without the keyboard in it so I can leave the keyboard at home and just go slim and trim on the weekends when I don't plan to do much typing. Plus when the keyboard is not in the case the ipad can be set to any angle that you desire with the case.
  4. lindyd

lindyd iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Similar Problem - is your wife's iPad screen intact?

I've just discovered a similar issue with my invisible shield being damaged by the Zagg Folio case. Just wondering if your wife was able to remove/replace the shield and verify that the screen wasn't damaged underneath? I ask because the longer rubber bumper that runs across the top of the keyboard has left an imprint across the bottom third of my screen that is causing a rainbow effect when the screen is displaying white light. It's only in the imprint areas, so I'm pretty sure the damage is limited to the shield and that the screen is fine underneath, but as you can imagine I'm still a little concerned. I've contacted their customer service department, so I'm hopeful that it can be resolved soon. Would love to know that I'm not in for any unpleasant surprises when I remove the shield, though.
  5. Zevo

Zevo iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have posted in in another similar thread the same problems with the impression issue. The replacement folio was the correct version for the iPad 3. Looking at the design there is nothing between keyboard and the screen other than the rubber bumpers. Newer keyboard case designs are just now comming out that look like they have better protection between the kyboard and the screen. For my iPad 3 the ZAGG folio is damaging not only the skin but adding uneccessary presuure aganst the display and is not my solution for a keyboard case combo.
  6. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    We caught it in time before it could do damage to the iPad screen. In fact I was able to dampen the invisible shield and work it back down in those 2 spots and it looks almost new again!
  7. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    So are you guys saying that if you use a folio BT keyboard case that you NEED a screen protector to keep from damaging the iPad's screen?

I was planning to buy a Zagg Folio once they become more widely available. But I already have a logitech BT Keyboard that works just fine, but I was considering switching to a KB case to make the set easier to carry around and use, when I think I will need to be typing a lot. But I don't want to risk damaging my screen and I do NOT want to use a screen protector, other than what the case provides.
  8. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    No I'm saying that the case they sent my wife which had the sticker stating 2nd and 3rd generation iPads on the box was messing up the screen protector. It was the rubber feet on the back of the keyboard that are supposed to keep the screen from touching the typing keys when the case is closed. But I believe that during the closing process those rubber feet were pushing against the lip of the screen protector and causing it to raise up. That is my theory anyway.
  9. PaulCarleton

PaulCarleton iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    To be fair here I have had the ZAGGFolio since October. I don't use the screen protector but the ZAGGfolio does not come even close to doing any damage to the actual screen. Are you guys sure that the ZAGG screen protector that you're using has been fully cured?
  10. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Yes and your since October has to be the iPad 2 this is on the new iPad. I had the Invisible Shield installed by Best Buy the day after our iPads got here and we had to wait for a couple weeks before getting our cases so it was cured!
  11. exile

exile iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    How's the belkin folio working out so far? You have the new keyboard folio for the 3 right? Or an older model for the 2?
  12. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    It is the new one for the 3 and we both like it very well. The keyboard attaches via velcro and unattaches very easily for whenever you want to use the case withoutthe keyboard. The keyboard has a nice feel like the Zagg, pairs easily, and reconnects very consistently.

I turn the KB off by sliding a switch and back on the same way and the blue light flashes 2-3 times. It goes off and I know I'm connected! Very consistent! With the keyboard out of the way the case will hold the iPad in any angle you want while in landscape mode! So it is a very nice case/stand. I love the magnet latch but I will have to say that the case does not wake or put the iPad to sleep and I believe that it advertizes so.
  13. PaulCarleton

PaulCarleton iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    My point was that I had an iPad 2 in that case for six months and now I have my iPad 3 in that dr case. I remove some of the foam backing behind the felt so the iPad 3 would fit better but I'm not worried about the screen being damaged from the rubber bumpers. I've seen no evidence of it yet.
  14. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    I agree that the rubber bumpers are not going to hurt the screen! No issue Paul! However the rubber bumbers do rub across the face of the screen and they did catch the edge of my wife's protector on both places. And no we didn't remove all the felt from the case as it did say 2nd - 3rd on it and we really shouldn't have to make adjustments on a $100 case in my opinion.
  15. PaulCarleton

PaulCarleton iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I agree with you you should not have to modify your case but in my situation I purchased a case for an iPad 2 I converted it fit in iPad 3. I'm not suggesting that you do that also.

And the reason I was worried about people saying it was in a damage your screen, read the posts. People were saying they were worried about cracking or damaging the screen.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  16. exile

exile iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Nice, sounds like a solid product :)

Now I just have to wait to see if the price will go down a little bit.
  17. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Yeah, I think it's still cheaper than the Zagg Folio by almost $20. What I like about it more than the Zagg case is several things so far.
    1) use it without the keyboard - Tried that with my wife's for a couple minutes but it really felt hollow on the one side
    2) without the keyboard the stand works in many different angles
    3) lighter case as it just isn't as heavy
    4) thinner case
  18. exile

exile iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    So many good things about it!! You're going to make me end up doing an impulse buy and just purchase it now. Maybe.

I like the way how the case is designed so it doesn't have to use a stand on the back when it is propped up. Plus, a huge plus, the keyboard is detachable. I can't really get a good view of how the ipad sits. Does it sit on a notch on the keyboard to stay up right like the zagg and Aida?

I see some notches on the case. But doesn't seem like that would be very secure if you're using it on your lap or lying down in bed. Correct me if I'm wrong
  19. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    It has these grippy little notches but the case props up in the notches or way before them. It really hugs the flat part at any spot!
  20. pianoman

pianoman iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I tried both the Zagg Folio and the Belkin case for my iPad 2. Neither worked for me. Keys on keyboard too close together. I ended up with the Dexim iPad case/keyboard. Little wider space to type. My only complaint with it - is that there's no space between keys of the keyboard. For those of us who don't look while we type I hadn't realized we do rely on the space between letters to feel our way around. But I've gotten used to it now.

The choices are very personal. The Dexim (Folio, I guess is the term) works for both iPad 2 and 3. There is only the very slightest of extra thickness in the middle of a 3rd gen. No problem for any of the folio products I've tried. For some reason when I had the Zagg Folio I didn't have the problem with the rubber feet messing up my InvisiShield. Weird. But I didn't have it long for other reasons I mentioned.

Good luck with your Belkin. It was my 2nd favorite of the 3.