What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buzz player hd doesnt display all files through ftp

ewanko08

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone, any one using buzz player for streaming videos from a remote server through ftp?

I am trying it on mine but it doesnt fully work. Heres what ive done. I installed buzz player, setup connection to my server through ftp: ftp://xxx.xx.xx.xx/ and then save the username andpassword. Then i navigate to the folders downloads/videos/ and there i have around 40 folders containing movies. 2 folders are working properly. I am able to see all the contents, even txt files, and able to play the video. One is in mp4 format and the other is avi.

The rest of the folders are displayed empty. These folders contain mixed txt files and avi or mkv videos. I have verified through filezilla that my files are in the folders and they are not empty. They also all have the same permissions.

I tried duplicating the folder with video that is working but the duplicate doesnt work. It is displayed as empty. I have tried moving the working folder to inside another folder and it stopped working. I put it back to its original location and i was able to see the contents of it again. The video files range from 300mb to 2gb. The only two folders that are working contain a 400mb mp4 file and 700mb avi file.

I have a oplayerhd lite installed and it is able to see all my files using the same server and credentials. Although it has terrible playback when it comes to streaming.

Anyone can figure what is wrong with my setup?

Last edited:

Menneisyys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is the exact type of your FTP server? On my standard, built-in OS X FTP sharing (SL 10.6.8), BUZZ Player (both the latest and the previous version) works just great. All files are listed.

OP
E

ewanko08

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im not sure what type. I am accessing a seedbox hosted by seedboxes.cc.

Everything works fine in oplayerhd though and if im not wrong, ftp should be standard protocol and should work with various software or apps.

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you go into the buzz player hd settings, under general, is the "display unsupported files" set to on?

Menneisyys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you go into the buzz player hd settings, under general, is the "display unsupported files" set to on?

It won't help - the OP's MKV's etc. are all supported ones and, therefore, will be listed even with this setting OFF (checked via mine). Unsupported ones are like WavPack and OGA files. The FTP server is definitely incompatible with the player - which isn't that suprising, as many multimedia players have very weak and/or not fully standards-compliant streaming clients.

Menneisyys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only two folders that are working contain a 400mb mp4 file and 700mb avi file.

That is, they're SD videos only, not HD ones. Why don't you use GoodPlayer for playback? It has the best and most standards-compliant streaming support. Alternatively, give a try to eXPlayer HD by Zhigang Chen ( eXPlayer HD for iPad on the iTunes App Store ), which has hardware decoding support for MOV (M4V / MP4) files over FTP, unlike GP. Dunno if it's compatible with your server, tho.

OP
E

ewanko08

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is, they're SD videos only, not HD ones. Why don't you use GoodPlayer for playback? It has the best and most standards-compliant streaming support. Alternatively, give a try to eXPlayer HD by Zhigang which has hardware decoding support for MOV (M4V / MP4) files over FTP, unlike GP. Dunno if it's compatible with your server, tho.

Arent all video files supposed to show up whether they are supported or not? I have tried playing some of the videos thatcwont show up by getting the http link directly and it played fine. Ill give the other players a try. Too bad though cuz i paid for buzz player and it doesnt work.

OP
E

ewanko08

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can see all files fine in good playerl but i can only play mp4 files. The others are either not playing or taking a really long time to load. Playback is very slow in goodplayer also. Buzz player has the best playback capability of all. I really wish i could make it work.

Menneisyys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Arent all video files supposed to show up whether they are supported or not? I have tried playing some of the videos thatcwont show up by getting the http link directly and it played fine. Ill give the other players a try. Too bad though cuz i paid for buzz player and it doesnt work.

Nope, if the FTP client implementation is buggy, it's highly possible some of the directories / files aren't read (because of, say, a timeout). FTP isn't a very easy protocol to properly implement (I know because I've also written a FTP client library in Java).

Menneisyys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should talk to the GP devs, providing them with as much info as possible. They're (unlike some of the other devs) very responsive - generally, they answer mails in a day.

Alternatively, post a request to Edited by Moderator - please don't link to other forums, Goodplayer have contact details on their own website http://www.hustmobile.com/goodplayer/index.html - they constantly monitor the thread (and also are present in there).

Last edited by a moderator:

Menneisyys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BTW, just writing a mail to the devs of BUZZ Player. Will post him a link to this thread as well; hope he comes over to talk to us directly.

OP
E

ewanko08

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could be right. I have tried playing the direct http url for one of the videos that cant be seen and it played well. The direct ftp link however is not playing at all. Or maybe it will just take a longer time to start i just didnt wait long enough.

Im trying to make ftp work so that i can choose which videos to play while within app. Buzz player has the best playback speed compared to oplayer and goodplayer. I have sent buzz player an email thru their support 2 days ago and still hasnt replied.

OP
E

ewanko08

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Btw, i found a temporary solution for the mean time. Instead of using the ftp client of buzz, i just saved a bookmark thru the browser in buzzplayer to the http url of my download directory. This way i can see all files and all of them can be played thru url link by just clicking on the link and hit play. It seems that i can only play most my avi and mlv files thru http. The mp4 files though work through http and ftp.

Most reactions

Latest posts