What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying New Ipad 2 Advice

nunbean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry if this has already been answered but I've been doing a lot of google searches and not really finding much.

Basically I'm looking to buy a new Ipad 2 16GB Wifi only, but I want to be able to jailbreak so need one with ios 4.3.3 from what I understand from the forums and guides I've looked at.

Will the new ipads from the shops come with later firmware than 4.3.3 or can I downgrade it if it does come with later firmware.

Thanks in advance :)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You won't be able to downgrade a new iPad2 that does not come with 4.3.3. There is still stock out there as 4.3.3 was in production for a while, but each day that passes makes it less likely you will get one.

There is no way to tell from the packaging which version of IOS will be installed unfortunately! You will just need to take a chance, or pay a premium on ebay or elsewhere for a confirmed 4.3.3 model.

Also if you do get a 4.3.3 and mess something up you will be forced to restore the latest IOS and will lose your jailbreak.

All in all, not a great situation! Sorry. Don't lose hope though!

OP
N

nunbean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. When you say mess things up does that mean doing the jailbreak or can you mess it up after you've successfully jailbreaked.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I mean after. The JB itself is simple and risk free.

Jailbreaking will give you unrestricted access to the iPad filesystem. As an example of how you might mess up, if you go in and delete files which are part of the OS you will have to restore.

The number of threads I've seen over the years along the lines of "I was trying to delete some files to get more space. I deleted the "system" folder because I didn't recognise it and now my device won't boot" would amaze you!

As long as you take care about what your are doing you will be fine.

OP
N

nunbean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh ok thanks for the help that makes sense. I wouldn't go deleting things anyway. I've jailbroke other things before jusy not very familar with ios stuff which is why I wanted.to check what I was buying. Thanks again just got to find a 4.3.3 iPad now :)

OP
N

nunbean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I took a punt and went to currys today. I am now the owner of a Jailbroken 4.3.3 iPad 2. Thanks so much for your help :D

Most reactions

Latest posts