Buying ipad soon, warrenty?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by celinedion1, Mar 10, 2011.

1. celinedion1

celinedion1
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'll be buying an ipad soon probably within the next week, so before I buy one I have a question. I know that apple gives you a year warrenty and there's a extended warrenty that you can buy from apple.

My question is can you buy the extended warrenty any time within the first year of owning the ipad, or do you have you buy the extended warrenty when you first buy the ipad?

Also is there some place where I can see what the extended warrenty covers?

2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
  3. normanj

normanj
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Quick glance at the warranty suggests that the basic coverage us (a) we'll help you out during the first 90 days, and (b) we'll cover you after 90 days and up to a year the iPad just stops working right and you can show that it's not your fault. Am I right?

4. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Yes - that's certainly how I understand it. For the first 90 days you get warranty and support - after 90 days you get warranty. But Apple have a reputation for being pretty good at the interpretation of 'not your fault'. And, as I think I mentioned before, the reliability of the iPad is generally very good from reports on the Forum. Most faults will almost certainly show up during the first 12 months. The iPad has, in effect, no moving parts (i.e. hard discs) so the reliability should be good. OK - switches etc are clearly likely to be the weak point but, surprisingly, I've not seen any reports so far of switch failures. Clearly the 'Home' button and the 'Power' switch are likely to be the most used (well, there is only one more!) so I'd imagine Apple *really* focussed on the reliability of those; they don't want $800 iPads failing because of a 25 cent switch.

Tim
    Scotland

5. tzimisce

tzimisce
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Just purely on empirical observation, many of the dead-on-arrival and dead-within-a-week defects tend to cluster around the display, more than any other component.

6. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Excellent point! Yes - it does seem that the majority of reports in this Forum of defective iPads have been ‘screen issues’ - random colours, stripes down the screen, blank screens, flickering screens etc.

Tim
    Scotland

7. pastorsteve

pastorsteve
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I believe that you have 355 days to buy your Apple Care coverage for any newly purchased Apple product, but that is something they will answer for you at the Apple store when you buy yours. To me it's definitely worth it.

8. accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    364 days I believe....correct me if im wrong

9. pastorsteve

pastorsteve
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Could be. I know it's just under a full year.

10. Megadesertdiesel

Megadesertdiesel
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I bought the best buy warranty. It covers dropping it and getting it wet. $130 for my 64gig 3G.