What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying in USA for using in UK any problems? Help

RodgerDodger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a chance of an iPad Air2 64 GB being bought for me in the USA and being brought over to the UK.

I have a 1st generation 16GB iPad which has no more storage left.

Has anyone in the UK done this and were there any issues at all?

Any help would be much appreciated.
TIA
Rodger Dodger

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The warranty is worldwide so that's not a problem. You'll have to buy a UK plug adaptor, though, as it will come with the U.S. plug for the charger. If the iPad is WiFi + Cellular, it should be OK with the cellular bands used in the UK. You may want to check with a local Apple Store to be sure.

OP
R

RodgerDodger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The warranty is worldwide so that's not a problem. You'll have to buy a UK plug adaptor, though, as it will come with the U.S. plug for the charger. If the iPad is WiFi + Cellular, it should be OK with the cellular bands used in the UK. You may want to check with a local Apple Store to be sure.
Thank you for your help, it won't be cellular as I haven't got a sim for the current one. So everything looks good to go then. Saving a few pennies and making it more future - proof. Thanks again for your help and advice.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your help, it won't be cellular as I haven't got a sim for the current one. So everything looks good to go then. Saving a few pennies and making it more future - proof. Thanks again for your help and advice.
Be prepared to pay any import duties when the iPad is imported.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
By the time you have paid VAT and import duty, bought a UK plug and probably paid US sales tax too, there likely won't be much saving. Sales tax can be avoided by buying at a "tax free for tourists" store, or by buying in Nevada or Montana, where there is no sales tax.

One thing that is often overlooked: US/Canada sticker prices DO NOT include taxes; UK prices must, by law.

Most reactions

Latest posts