What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying an iPad abroad

Emmalouise

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone , I'm going to America on holiday this year and I am thinking about buying an iPad over there. Does anyone know if it will work ok in England if brought in america?? Will I be able to use iTunes fully and do I need an unlocked Verizon or at& t version. Thanks .

Hierro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want to use your iPad in UK I think you should buy the AT&T version. ITunes will work anyway.

OP
Emmalouise

Emmalouise

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks. does anyone know about the waranty and support,Will it still count if i buy it abroad ? And does it need to be unlocked.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Emmalouise said:
thanks. does anyone know about the waranty and support,Will it still count if i buy it abroad ? And does it need to be unlocked.

The warranty is worldwide, so you have no worries on that score.

Somebody else will need to chime in regarding unlocking.

The Archangel

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Warranty should be OK of you present your original receipt.

If I understand what you mean by unlocked, don't worry. iPads are not locked in the same way as carrier-subsidized phones. Just put in your SIM and you are good to go.

Don't forget the tax implications. You will be paying US sales tax in most states which you probably will not be able to recover, and you will also be liable for UK VAT and duty.

The AT&T model is apparently the one to go for as noted above.

As an aside, if you bought the iPad in Canada, you could get an automatic GST refund, and there is no Verizon-type model.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

OP
Emmalouise

Emmalouise

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't forget the tax implications. You will be paying US sales tax in most states which you probably will not be able to recover, and you will also be liable for UK VAT and duty.

Sorry not sure what you mean by vat and duty. doesanyone know how much the limit is for bringing back items from a holiday in the usa to england. thanks

OP
Emmalouise

Emmalouise

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Sorry not sure what you mean by vat and duty. doesanyone know how much the limit is for bringing back items from a holiday in the usa to england. thanks

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Emmalouise said:

Here is the thing, if you take it out of the box and use it then you should be OK (although I would lose the box otherwise customs will smell a rat), just bring it through in your hand luggage. This really is the best way, if not then there isn't a limit, if you bought it in the USA customs will want their pound of flesh!

The Archangel

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Goods bought in the UK, or bought overseas and imported into the UK, are subject to the standard rate of Value Added Tax, which is presently 20%.

Additionally, goods imported into the UK are subject to import duty if the total value of the goods exceeds GBP135.01. The duty is waived if the amount is under GBP9.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is no Federal Sales Tax in the US. States are free to set their own rate, and some, such as Montana (there are others) do no levy a sales tax at all.

Canada has a Federal sales tax (5%) called Goods and Service Tax. Tourists can pick up a form on leaving the country which will allow them to claim GST back from their own country. (It can't be done within Canada.) Additionally, provinces have their own sales tax called PST (Provincial Sales Tax), with the exception of Alberta, which does not levy a sales tax. In some provinces, the tax is combined into HST, or Harmonized Sales Tax.

It is important to note that displayed prices in the US and Canada do not include taxes, whereas in the UK, VAT is (by law) included in the displayed price.

OP
Emmalouise

Emmalouise

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know a lot about iPads as this will be my first, if I get a wifi only model do I need a sim?

Most reactions

Latest posts