What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying an IPAD 2

donnyb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am ready to buy my first Apple product - the Ipad 2. Here is my problem - I have a few hundred dollars credit at Newegg and would like to use this credit for the Ipad. I have checked pricing at several places and they are all the same price - except at Newegg. Their prices are about $50 higher than everyone else. Is there a reason for this? Is there somewhere the pricing scheme is lower than the others? BTW, I have checked the Apple store, Best Buy, Walmart, and a few others.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmmm - not sure why. I found that the pricing was basically the same no matter where I looked. Are you sure you are comparing exact-spec models and there isnt some feature or whatever that the extra $50 bucks buys you? Otherwise...I havent a clue. A few hundred bucks is a lot though. You should probably just get it there seeing as you have the store credit.

scotland66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check again, that your checking the same models, normally I would think that apple have strict guidelines that prices stay the same everywhere, but I could be wrong.
If they are the same models that your checking then maybe it's something to do with postage and delivery.

OP
D

donnyb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You ask an interesting question as I am undecided about 3G or not. I plan to use this mostly at home w/ my wifi. I also do 30% travel for my job, mostly international travel into Asia and south america, so most of my use would be at home or in airports.
By tether, do you mean using my Blackberry as a modem?

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
Right ... You mentioned this is your first iDevice. Normally you'd tether to an iPhone. There's a function that lets you create a personal wifi hot spot around your phone, allowing you to connect the iPad to the internet. Many carriers allow data sharing between devices for a nominal monthly fee.
The carrier I use in Canada charges $10 per month.

To use your Blackberry you'd have to "jail break" your iPad. Personally I wouldn't because of warranty issues. Less expensive (and no risk) to pay a little extra for 3G capability.

As a former Blackberry addict, I have never regretted switching to an iPhone. Once you start having a hoot with your iPad you'll have the urge too. Since i4S is a world phone, and it sounds like you travel a fair bit, you'll stay connected.

A buddy of mine bought his new iPhone 4S Friday and was in China Sunday. No problems reported.

See appended link re: Blackberry / iPad tethering.

AA

http://robertlendvai.posterous.com/20096524

OP
D

donnyb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like it might be easier to just get the 3G. BTW, my laptop and Blackberry are company property and the iPad would be mine.

Most reactions