What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying an app- query

rishi85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay so I have an I-phone 4 and an I-pad 2 in the house. When I buy an app, lets say for example Starwalk, do I have to buy it separately for the two devices or I can only spend my money to buy it one time and use it for both?
It costs 4.99, so will I be spending 10 dollars if I need it on both or I can buy it once and use it on both?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If all your iDevices are registered under the same iTunes account, Apple allows you to download the app to all your devices - you pay only once.

Tim

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
If you buy an iPhone or universal app you can use it on all your devices simultaneously. But, the iPad ressy will be half size and you must press the x2 button to zoom the app up to suit the iPad screen. This results in a more blurry or un-antialiased image.

So, to suit the iPad, some developers will release an iPad only app. Usually named an HD app. This is only usable on the iPad and has iPad higher graphics quality.

So the upshot is, check if the developer has an iPad version of the phone app. If he does, it's then your choice whether you want the 2 versions or not. If you do then you must pay separately for them.

Last edited:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, so unfair when you have iPhone, iPad and iPods. I wish you could just pay a few dollars more for HD. But that's business, I suppose! Love it or hate it!

sent with love from my iPad on IPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you buy an iPhone or universal app you can use it on all your devices simultaneously. But, the iPad ressy will be half size and you must press the x2 button to zoom the app up to suit the iPad screen. This results in a more blurry or un-antialiased image.

So, to suit the iPad, some developers will release an iPad only app. Usually named an HD app. This is only usable on the iPad and has iPad higher graphics quality.

So the upshot is, check if the developer has an iPad version of the phone app. If he does, it's then your choice whether you want the 2 versions or not. If you do then you must pay separately for them.

I'm slightly confused - in the App Store some apps have a '+' symbol by them - they are suitable for both the iPhone and iPad and detect the device they're working on and adjust the display accordingly. If you were to download such an app to an iPhone and then an iPad under the same iTunes account, then both would work perfectly on their respective platforms. If the app doesn't have the '+' then it doesn't detect the platform it's running on and so you'd need a separate app for the iPhone and iPad....or am I wrong - as I usually am.....:(

Tim goes and hides...

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I'm slightly confused - in the App Store some apps have a '+' symbol by them - they are suitable for both the iPhone and iPad and detect the device they're working on and adjust the display accordingly. If you were to download such an app to an iPhone and then an iPad under the same iTunes account, then both would work perfectly on their respective platforms. If the app doesn't have the '+' then it doesn't detect the platform it's running on and so you'd need a separate app for the iPhone and iPad....or am I wrong - as I usually am.....:(

Tim goes and hides...

That's exactly as I understand it............

The Archangel

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why are you hiding? It's right as far as I see it! I usually land up buying the HD anyway because it is much better than the iPhone version!

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Yeah, sorry, I didn't mention that (probably because the majority of my apps aren't "+" compatible). The majority of the apps I have are either iphone or iPad HD, meaning the same app but optimised for iPhone or iPad, with 2 separate downloads and prices.

The apps labelled + are fully universal, only in my experience these are a bit more few and far between.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had to buy some apps twice, angry birds is one of them, 1 for the phone, other for the ipad 

Sent from my iPad using iPF, using iOS 4.3.2

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I got my 4, I downloaded all my apps and downloaded 1password app instead of the bought and paid for 1password pro and I got charged for it! I've sent a report a problem email to iTunes but no reply as yet!. Oh, well, you live and learn, I suppose!

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right-the "+" means that the app works on both and optimized for the iPad screen too. I have some like that, a whole bunch that run on both but are iPhone ones that are a little pixelated, but usually it doesn't bother me too much. One of my games looks just fine on 2X, enough to not bother buying the iPad version.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When I got my 4, I downloaded all my apps and downloaded 1password app instead of the bought and paid for 1password pro and I got charged for it! I've sent a report a problem email to iTunes but no reply as yet!. Oh, well, you live and learn, I suppose!

You have to be careful. There are actually three 1password apps in the store. 1 for iPhone, 1 for iPad, and 1 Universal. The Universal app costs more than the other two (last time I checked) but less than buying the other two apps separately.

The univerasl is named 1Password Pro.

Most reactions