What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying a sim in the USA?

Mumma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, we are heading to the states in a few weeks and I'm trying to find info on buying a sim for my iPad while we are there. We are hoping to use wifi as much as possible but want to have a back up.
My issue is how do you go about registering it? Do they require an American address and credit card etc?
I've currently got a Telstra sim (which the creidit has just expired anyway), can you just purchase some sort of global sim card to use or turn on global roaming of some sort?
I'm not concerned about the cost, as I said it will just be a back up if we happen to get stuck without wifi or if I need to google an address while we are driving etc.
I could ring Telstra and ask them, but I'd rather poke myself in the eye with the pointy end of a pencil ;)

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not concerned about the cost, as I said it will just be a back up if we happen to get stuck without wifi or if I need to google an address while we are driving etc.

Have you got health insurance?
You'll need it when you see the prices Telstra charge for Global roaming

Have a stiff drink and then check here

I'm off to the USA for a couple of weeks later this month and I'll either stick with free wifi (there are apps that list public locations in major cities) or look at the AT&T option.

OP
M

Mumma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim. Do you know if you can just pick those up from any AT&T outlet over there?

K1W1, I used my iPhone last year for the odd google etc and my total bill was only an extra $30 including my sms and calls as we only used the data when there wasn't wifi.

Ianhilton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Free wifi at Starbucks, they're on every corner just park outside and you'll pick it up.I did that on my laptop until I got my iPad ,then used AT&T from ny and up into Canada lost signal now and then but was only there a week so didn't bother with Canadian telco.

samurusawyer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thinner, lighter, and full of great ideas.

Once you pick up iPad 2, it’ll be hard to put down. That’s the idea behind the all-new design. It’s 33 percent thinner and up to 15 percent lighter, so it feels even more comfortable in your hands.2 And it makes surfing the web, checking email, watching movies, and reading books so natural, you might forget there’s incredible technology under your fingers.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
K1W1 said:
I'm off to the USA for a couple of weeks later this month and I'll either stick with free wifi (there are apps that list public locations in major cities) or look at the AT&T option.

Hi, can I ask what you ended up doing, I'm going to the US next month. I'm looking to get a sim for my iPad and one for my phone for local calls. I've heard there's plenty of shops that sell them, but did you find one you preferred. Thanking you.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, can I ask what you ended up doing, I'm going to the US next month. I'm looking to get a sim for my iPad and one for my phone for local calls. I've heard there's plenty of shops that sell them, but did you find one you preferred. Thanking you.

Easiest thing in the world. Check this thread.

Have a great trip.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for that. A very informative write-up. Amazing they just don't have a prepaid sim like here.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are many many PAYG (pre-paid) microSIMs in the US - just Google 'PAYG US' for many many deals...I've used PAYG US SIM cards for many years, there is no problem

Tim

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
There are many many PAYG (pre-paid) microSIMs in the US - just Google 'PAYG US' for many many deals...I've used PAYG US SIM cards for many years, there is no problem

Tim

I will check this out, I would rather just get a prepaid sim and not have to worry about cancelling a plan. It's much simpler than worrying if they will charge my credit card again.
Thanks Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts