What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buy Mini 4 as a Spare

abredt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the original iPad mini and love it. I am concerned that future iOS versions may not support it.

I am considering buying a Mini 4 and keeping it as a spare for use in future iOS versions.

Does that make any sense? Cost of $399 is not a factor.
Thanks, cb

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you're still on a mini 1, and cost is not a factor, then I say wait until you need a new one before buying another. No point in having brand new old tech in storage.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Technology moves fast nowadays and new operating systems are introduced. If you put aside a Mini 4 for future use, you may find it struggles to run the latest IOS and at some point may not be able to download a new software update.

OP
A

abredt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem is that Apple is discontinuing the Mini. So I am concerned that future iOS upgrades may not work on my original Mini.
For example - you cannot upgrade an iPhone 4 to iOS 10.
I like the size of the mini, as opposed to iPad Air 2.
Thanks, cb

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The problem is that Apple is discontinuing the Mini. So I am concerned that future iOS upgrades may not work on my original Mini.
For example - you cannot upgrade an iPhone 4 to iOS 10.
I like the size of the mini, as opposed to iPad Air 2.

Well, my first comment was going to be about Apple's D/C the Mini model, so if you like the smaller footprint of that iPad, then maybe a reason to simply upgrade to a Mini 4 while still available? Also the original Mini is nearly 5 years of age and has been declared 'obsolete' by Apple (see first pic below); in addition, the CPU chip is the old A5 (vs. the A8 in the Mini 4) and RAM is only 512 MB (vs. 2 GB in the current Mini model). Finally, I'm assuming that your are on iOS 9.x since your device cannot run the 10.x version (2nd pic below) - keep in mind that the next iOS (i.e. 11.x) will run only 64-bit apps.

The Mini 4 was released at the end of 2015 and I suspect will have iOS compatibility for the next couple or more versions of the operating system (just my guess) - my wife has a Mini 4 and also likes the size (fits in her purse easily), so I do not believe that she will need a replacement soon. My feeling is that you should consider upgrading to the Mini 4 if you want to take full advantage of the newest iOS, newer apps, fingerprint ID, more RAM, and better security. Good luck in your decision - not an easy one and comments will certainly vary. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 3.02.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 3.09.11 PM.png

OP
A

abredt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks. I hadn't quite thought about it as an upgrade now.
I will take your advice and treat myself to a new mini. Now to decide on a case for it :)
cb

How do I register an official Thanks?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Many thanks. I hadn't quite thought about it as an upgrade now.
I will take your advice and treat myself to a new mini. Now to decide on a case for it :)
cb

How do I register an official Thanks?
If you tap the thumbs up icon at the bottom of a post, it will post a thanks to the profile page of the member making the post.

Most reactions