Buy iPad2 or wait for iPad3?

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by msgtusaf, Nov 21, 2011.

1. tlbaker

tlbaker
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    LMAO!!

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01Update From NYC using iPF

2. jduncan

jduncan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ha! Good luck with that ;)

3. andreak

andreak
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    i just bought an ipad2 for my wife,,,and i'm hogging it:). so i'm facing the same question. all i can do is offer what i've seen so far. there is a slight difference in price from OG ipad to ipad2. it is cheaper, in fact, to get the refurbed 2 than a new OG ipad. people who are selling their ipads are asking too much, imo, based on how much trust you place on a stranger's word.

so if you're looking for great savings by waiting for a 3 to make the 2 obsolete,,,it won't happen. the only reasoning i've read for a lower ipad2 price is that MAYBE apple will cut the price to compete better with the kindle fire...i doubt it. otoh, if the 3 comes with a better screen and more powerful processor,,,,well, those are the two things that drain a battery the most, so will you see a drop in that wonderful 10hr battery life?? personally, i think the battery life is HUGE.

i like the 2 for what it is. don't need better processor speed, and the screen works for me. if the 3 comes in with all that and the same battery, i still wouldn't think the price difference would be worth it, but that a personal decision everyone makes.

jmho

#13 andreak, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  4. liemjerry

liemjerry
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    hello i'm new here
    let me say some experience : i just bought my ipad 2 64GB 3G+Wifi black and very happy with it.
    it doesn't matter wheter in April or May iPad 3 will launch.
    For me, technology is what I need, when it solved by iPad 2, why not i go for iPad 2 ?

The change of camera, gorilla glass, higher speed processor or maybe the development of 1080p resolution is useless for me, so why must I pay much when I don't need it, just want it ?
    It unwise spent of my money :)

5. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    The iPad 3 will be out in late February or in March. A couple of things will be given, but here are some interesting current rumors. The iPad 2 will continue to be offered, but at $399. The precedence for this can be found in the iPhones. Not a big deal since you can buy the reconditioned iPads for around that price. There is also a rumor that not all the scheduled upgrades could be ready for this launch, so they will have an iPad 4 intro in October. The rationale is that Windows 8 mobile is due around then, and they want a killer incentive to maintain their market hold. I would say that they will wait until the last minute to make the decision to jump the gun, or just wait until the traditional cycle to bring it out.

6. thewitt

thewitt
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I cannot see Apple dong either of these things, regardless of the rumors.

The iPad is selling at a rate of over 150,000 units every day at $499+. There is no business reason to lower the price. The iPhone comparison is not valid. That was a response to AT&T needing an entry level phone to sell more contracts.

Releasing two units in less than a year creates an instability in the market - a wait and see attitude that will cause future sales slumps.

I predict we will see an annual update just as before, with whatever new features are ready for prime time.

7. SweetPoison

SweetPoison
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    I would wait for the iPad 3, personally.

8. SweetPoison

SweetPoison
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    I agree!

9. PreVoiD

PreVoiD
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    One might get a little greedy when it comes to tech-stuff like iPads, computers or cellphone. At least I do - all the time, haha! But seriously thought, I'd suggest you wait a month or two for the iPad 3. Rumors are all over the net (as usual) but a realease date in march is the only rumor I've heard so far. Sounds promising!

So as mentioned above already:
    If you DESPERATELY need one TODAY. Then buy one, and be happy. Otherwise, wait a month or two - I'll promise you won't regret it once you stand in the applestore, with a shiny new iPad 3 box firmly in your grip. :)

10. jduncan

jduncan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    At this point I would diffinantly wait for the three. Once they do officailly announce it there will still be a wait, but at least you can pitch a tent at the Apple store of your choice.