What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Business users loving the new iPad more and more

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
stack-of-ipads.png

The iPad has carved a spot for itself in every field of human activity that includes education, space travel, medicine, entertainment and according to new research is on the rise in the business sector as well.

Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP) research has been tackling this issue recently, with the results suggesting that after the release of the next generation iPad in 2012, business users had a tendency to pick up the device more frequently. CIRP found that in just four months since the device went on sale business usage saw a significant rise.

So far iPad owners would user their tablet to browse online, to check their emails when they weren’t at home, they used apps, played video games and read. But with the introduction of the third generation iPad a change of dogma happened. According to the findings made by the CIRP now, 21% of Apple tablet owners use their device in a work related environment. Social media is also a very popular destination of tech fans with 16% of users login in daily to their Facebook or Twitter accounts.

It might be theorized that the new iPad is inherently more business like as it comes packed with a 4G connectivity option, a sleek processor and a wonderful Retina Display. These features do come in-handy in a professional environment as the better functioning of software is notably improved.

“Now that Apple has launched three generations of the iPad, it’s become clear that they intend it as a tool, not a toy, especially with the improved display and faster connection, stated CIRP partner Michael Levin.

By Radu

Source: Buyers of Latest iPad More Likely to Use It for Business - John Paczkowski - News - AllThingsD

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Strongly disagree - the iOS variants weak security makes it a non-starter for many business applications. The most common FAQ I've seen is "how do I/we stop people from accessing...?"

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
epb said:
Strongly disagree - the iOS variants weak security makes it a non-starter for many business applications. The most common FAQ I've seen is "how do I/we stop people from accessing...?"

As in other people picking up the iPad and using it, or hacking from elsewhere?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Though you may disagree, the facts are the iPad is still making huge, fast inroads into businesses all over the world, and IT departments are working with their users as best they can to accommodate them.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Though you may disagree, the facts are the iPad is still making huge, fast inroads into businesses all over the world, and IT departments are working with their users as best they can to accommodate them.

+1.

bigpoppa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Altough edp has a point I have to agree with thewitt I think he's is right about the fact that; the iPad is still making huge, fast inroads into businesses all over the world

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Well that's interesting. It's all well and good to say it's making business in-roads, but let's try this - does anyone on the forum use a work-provided iPad in real life? At my job, IT has long complained that security on the iPad is too weak to let it replace the Blackberrys they equip us with now. The in-roads it seems to be making is as a display device, rather than a work tool; there's limited need for that and even then what I've seen is pretty awkward.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:

I have a cousin that is the head of IT for a large 300+ law firm, and he was working excluding from ipad ONE and an hp net book. He showed me grids of the building and camera and security protocols. He's prolly hotwored the white house with a third gen.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
epb said:
Well that's interesting. It's all well and good to say it's making business in-roads, but let's try this - does anyone on the forum use a work-provided iPad in real life? At my job, IT has long complained that security on the iPad is too weak to let it replace the Blackberrys they equip us with now. The in-roads it seems to be making is as a display device, rather than a work tool; there's limited need for that and even then what I've seen is pretty awkward.

Yes, I'm anti BB, but the OTHER FACTS are they could flop at any moment with their tablet FAIL, apple is in a position to engulf a whole other market. Yes, the interface is weak, but that's because they want you to buy ridiculously expensive software like logmein and those security apps. But it's also an invitation. With the right tools, anybody can make an app now. My uncle is the head of telecomm at a CC and he's about to start on one himself. My university released one right before school ended. Also, if you just browse thru the app store, you can find 100s of business specific apps.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Yes, and we have installed and configured tens of thousands of enterprise iPads in the last two years, many with custom software, however some simply with off the shelf options.

It's embedded in the enterprise today and the fastest growth segment in the business.

Are there shortcomings? Absolutely. There is however nothing else on the market that comes close in off the shelf functionality and custom application options..

Laurie_

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This much I know as fact. Took my grandaughter to a well baby check up last month and her doctor was using an Ipad to do the paper work.
Add notes to her file, etc. I have no idea what else he does with it. I couldn't tell which Generation it was. She didn't get any prescriptions so I have no idea if that could have been done from the ipad too.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are there shortcomings? Absolutely. There is however nothing else on the market that comes close in off the shelf functionality and custom application options..

I've no experience with Android devices, but it seems to me that they would match it for function and customization - they just don't have the same market share.

Custom apps and such are nice, but the crux of the matter for us is the iOS itself. What we're looking for is a way to assign admin rights that prevent users from altering the set-up once it's installed. For example, as an organization we want a more complex password setup than the default 4-digit one iOS has, and we want users unable to revert to the weaker scheme. We would also want to pretty much disable or remove iTunes - no downloading movies, music, and especially apps. It would essentially have a web browser, a custom remote login app for our systems, the e-mail client and something akin to MS Office like Apple's Keynote, Numbers, etc. From what I'm hearing, this pretty much isn't do-able. The real money in iPads isn't selling the devices but the revenue stream the device opens up direct to Apple, and iOS is configured to facilitate that, not inhibit it; there's no way to close off the device.

What's currently available is that you have to leave the front door unlocked, but you can lock the door to some of the rooms once people are in (in-app security rather than OS security). When you're talking about access to customer personal and financial data, that's not seen as good enough from our perspective.

mmnlinar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad is soooo.... close to being my instrument of choice. My very new and light laptop now feels like 50 lb stone.
When I want to use a keyboard, I want a full-sized/full function one to leave at desk or home.

Sent ML-iPad

Most reactions

Latest posts