What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Built in Video App diappeared since 10.3.3 update (maybe wef from 10.2.x)

StormAlert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apparently the Video App as been removed completely (i.e. no longer available in the App Store) and is replaced by the TV App. Unfortunately my understanding is the TV app is only currently available in the US.

I am in the UK and the App store is not offering me the Video App or TV App and currently I no longer have a way of synchronising my home videos in iTunes to my iPad. ITunes states no video palyer on the iPad.

My family wants to continue to view family videos on our iPad.

So until Apple get round to sorting this out out this what can I do in the meantime? Please can I have some recommendations for a decent free Video player that can be sync'd from iTunes. Thx.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

The app is still on my iPad Pro. Try searching for it again. The right name is "Videos". Maybe you couldn't find it because of a wrong term.

OP
S

StormAlert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my iPhone 5S (10.3.2) the Videos App is showing up fine (and available in the Apps store). On my iPad Air (10.3.3) it has disappeared and searching for it in the App Store unfortunately yields no results (I searched for Videos as suggested). Quite annoying as I have been using without problem until this latest update.

Googling has revealed chatter on various forums that the Videos App is no longer available with the latest update and replaced with the TV App and this is the new app for playing videos.
Cant Play Videos after iOS 10.2 Update, How-To - AppleToolBox

The problem is the TV App is not currently available outside the US. iTunes on my PC is complaining there is no video player to sync to.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In the US, and I think Canada, the Videos app has been replaced by the TV app. While it has a lot of itegration with the AppleTV, it still does all the thing Watch Now tab, but all your content should still be present under one of the other tabs.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In countries other than the USA (or maybe Canada as well), the Videos app is still there:
IMG_0441.PNG

This is a screenshot from my iPad Pro, iOS 10.3.3, and I am from Austria.

OP
S

StormAlert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well for some reason it has disappeared off of my iPad Air. Maybe a restore to factory settings would bring it back? I can do that from iTunes.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Possible, try rebooting and restarting your iPad before you restore.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well for some reason it has disappeared off of my iPad Air. Maybe a restore to factory settings would bring it back? I can do that from iTunes.
What I did when it happened to me was look for the videos app in the App Store and tapped the cloud icon to download it. Although the app had disappeared, all the videos were still on the iPad and could be played once the app had finished downloading.

Here’s the listing for the Videos app in the App Store. It shows open because I’ve already downloaded it.
IMG_4218.PNG

OP
S

StormAlert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No luck at all unfortunately, for some reason the Videos App is gone for good on my iPad Air and not available in the App Store. I can't even find the video files on the iPad which I previously uploaded from iTunes. So I've installed PlayerXtreme Media Player (recommended to me) which appears to be a good alternative and allows me to upload and play mkv files.

Thx for advice.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No luck at all unfortunately, for some reason the Videos App is gone for good on my iPad Air and not available in the App Store. I can't even find the video files on the iPad which I previously uploaded from iTunes. So I've installed PlayerXtreme Media Player (recommended to me) which appears to be a good alternative and allows me to upload and play mkv files.

Thx for advice.
There’s the possibility that your update to iOS 10.3.3 was corrupted somehow. Have you considered doing the update over again?
BTW, are the missing video files still taking up storage space on your iPad?

Have you tried looking in your App Store purchase history to see if the Videos app is there?

OP
S

StormAlert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to feed back I checked today and the Videos App is now in my Apps Store again. I can't believe I was missing it before, so no explanation. Quite impressed with PlayerXtreme Media Player as an alternative.

Most reactions

Latest posts