What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brushes or Sketchbook Pro?

etonb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all, hi everyone! New ipad (original) user here and overall new user to the apple technologies. I must say, I'm delighted!

So I want to use the iPad for casual drawing/painting (my favorite hobby) and after trying out Adobe Ideas I have to say I'm very satisfied with how responsive and amazing this device is for people like me. However, I felt that Ideas was kinda missing on some features and I've been meaning to pay for an app - either Brushes or Sketchbook Pro.

I don't think price is a concern since drawing will be one of the main things I do on the pad so I'll pretty much make it worthwhile. However, there are certain key features I'm looking for:

• Paintbucket tool - easy way to do solid, basic fill.
  • Layers.
  • "Clear Image" button - easy way to quickly erase everything in my current canvas.
What I am wondering is, does either Brushes or Sketchbook Pro meet all of these requirements? I'm leaning towards Brushes as from what I've read it's more user friendly but I could change my mind if it doesn't have these features.

Thanks in advance,
EtonB.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In Brushes you have to clear the individual layers. Other than that they both have all the features you want.

Each app works a little different. I solve the which app to buy with money, and buy them all, or at least the ones that look good.

Go ahead and start with Brushes if you want something simple, then if it is missing extras you'd like get SketchBook, which is as about full featured as they come.

All my art apps in order of most loved/used:

SketchBook
ArtRage
Brushes
Color Pencils (specialized)
Layers Pro

OP
E

etonb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your response!

Now I'm leaning more towards Sketchbook Pro if it is indeed a more complete package. I thought of another possibility and was wondering if it existed on either app... can you open a picture as a layer so you can draw over it?

fairythere

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try ArtRage, it does everything you want and more!

There are layers (all able to set visibility and effect) plus a separate function to add any artwork you have as a tracing layer. I love the tools because you can not only set transparency individually for them but when they mix on the same layer it's just like with real media where they can mix to make another color and you can use the palette tool to push and or smear it around. The ink pen is excellent and has many settings including a smoothing function that will automatically smooth wobbly/crooked lines from 0 to 100%! Very useful for getting smooth shapes!

The tools pallet and color pallet also have the neat feature of being able to disappear while you're drawing so they aren't in the way. Guess you can tell I love this program? I stopped looking for art programs after I got this one because it had all the features and more that I use.

OP
E

etonb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guess I now have an app of choice. Thanks for your responses.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. BTW, I agree with fairythere about ArtRage. It's another must have art program. The two programs are different enough to make it worth owning both.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sketchbook Pro and Art Rage are the best, IMHO. I use them both.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm a Sketchbook Pro fan after having tried brushes and a few others. It just seems to have more features.

jakeLowe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try ArtRage, it does everything you want and more!

I second Artrage.

I have the free Sketchbook.

Apples and oranges though.

Artrage is amazing for doing paintings. Mixing oil paint on canvas. Insta dry on/off feature is every painters dream!

It has layers and paint bucket.

How real the mixing and blending of paint is what I love.

All apps I've tried drawing with does have a lag, i heard ipad 2 has drawing lag to.

It's not enough to effect too much.

But the lag is no biggy for paint. Drawing the lag is a bit annoying.

I wonder if ipad 3 will have no lag and pressure sensitivity.

Why can't develops use the accelerator adjust sensitivity?

watchlabber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WatchLAB Studios, a leading market research firm is conducting paid 1-hour interviews for people who use creative or art applications on their mobile device. These interviews are taking place in San Francisco in the upcoming weeks.

If you reside in the SF/Bay Area and would like to participate, please email recruiter2 @ watchlab com with the specific names of all creative/art applications you currently use on your mobile device, as well as the best contact # and time to reach you. We’ll phone you within 24 hours to ask you a few additional qualifying questions.
Thank you for your interest!

Most reactions

Latest posts