What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Browser/email shuts down for unknown reason

MissPotts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! I'm brand new to this type of thing and am hoping to find an answer/help to my problem. My iPad 1 does this annoying thing: I may be in the middle of typing an email or I may be looking at something on the Internet when all of a sudden my screen will go blank and then the home screen (the one with all my icons on it) will appear. I hope someone can help me. As you can probably tell, I'm not all that well versed in the world of technology! Thanks!

OP
M

MissPotts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually rebooted it this afternoon to see if that would fix it. I'm just waiting to see if it happens again. It's pretty random when it happens; could be numerous times a day and then not happen for weeks. Weird. It's not jail broken.

alexhenry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exactly the same with my Mum's iPad. She had way too many apps open that the first generation couldn't cope with. Upgraded to 3rd generation and it's fine - must be stronger OS.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
alexhenry said:
Exactly the same with my Mum's iPad. She had way too many apps open that the first generation couldn't cope with. Upgraded to 3rd generation and it's fine - must be stronger OS.

The issue with the iPad 1 is that it doesn't have as much RAM as later models so to ensure smooth running you need to clear out the "active" apps, if you are on iOS 5.x.x then do a four finger swipe up the screen, in the bar that appears at he bottom touch and hold any app until the minus sign appears in the corner of them, you can then close those apps and do a our finger swipe down the screen to hide the bar again. This should reduce any crashing that you have.

The Archangel

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MissPotts said:
I actually rebooted it this afternoon to see if that would fix it. I'm just waiting to see if it happens again. It's pretty random when it happens; could be numerous times a day and then not happen for weeks. Weird. It's not jail broken.

Sometimes it means you have too many apps open.

To close the ones you are not using you need to double-click the "home" button to reveal the "shelf" at the bottom of the screen showing all open apps, then hold one of those till they all wobble then click on the little "-" on each icon that you are not using at present to close them down.

This releases some memory, allowing the app you are using to work better.

After doing this just click the "home" button again to return to your current app.

OP
M

MissPotts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks vey much. I did have quite a few apps open. I've since taken your advice and hope that takes care of the problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts