What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broken ipad 2 glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because of these posts indicating a one time free replacement of broken glass on ipad2, I went to the king of Prussia, pa store, hoping for the same. I was refused a free replacement of glass (after waiting 20 minutes even though I had an appointment). After being refused the one time replacement, I was also told that the iPad could not be repaired, which I know is untrue, because people get them repaired all the time! I was "offered" a new iPad for $500. No THANKS! I will spend $100 and send it away for repair. Beware, if you go to the king of Prussia Apple store, that you will be required to have an appointment, will still have to wait to be assisted, and will be refused the one time free repair, and will be lied to and told that an ipad2 can't be repaired!
Sorry to hear about your poor experience...it's certainly out of the norm. It doesn't look like Apple is replacing broken glass in the iPad (for free as a one-time favor) much anymore. They were never obligated in the first place, but that's already been discussed enough.

As far as waiting for a Genius appointment I've had to wait a bit on occasion when I had an appointment and other times I've been able to walk up to the counter without an appointment at all. It all depends on the day, but having an appointment is certainly wise.

The bottom line is that unless they actually do some work, the time to diagnose and deal with problems at the Genius bar is free of charge which is most often not the case elsewhere...so I guess sometimes you get what you pay for.

I mentioned it in another thread, but you can always get either Apple Care Plus or a SquareTrade policy that will repair or replace an iPad for around $35 to $45 per year. It's certainly worth it for folks that find themselves in situations where damage may be a concern.

mr_president

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Funny comments. At the end of the day, it is a business. Great customer service is always needed into days society. High expectation for someone to fix your mistake free of charge is ludicrous.

Sent from Mr_President's iPad using iPF. 32GB 3g

mikeyotoole87

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here Apple UK seem to have a better stand on this, had an issue with my iPhone 4, the day before my 4S from Apple was arriving, and had also managed to break my iPad screen same day. Went to my local Apple Store in Cardiff and walked out with a brand new iPad2, iPhone 4 and my iPhone 4S which turned up just as they were getting the new iPad setup. This is why they are so damn successful!

mikeyotoole87

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To amend, mainly so SweetPoison doesn't get me :p I was actually anticipating spending the £250 a screen replacement costs in the UK (yes, if converting directly, we pay more than the US customers)

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mikeyotoole87 said:
Here Apple UK seem to have a better stand on this, had an issue with my iPhone 4, the day before my 4S from Apple was arriving, and had also managed to break my iPad screen same day. Went to my local Apple Store in Cardiff and walked out with a brand new iPad2, iPhone 4 and my iPhone 4S which turned up just as they were getting the new iPad setup. This is why they are so damn successful!

Did they replace your 4 with a 4S or did your purchase the 4S and they replaced the damaged 4??? All this replacing for free has gotten me confused lol.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 IOS 5.0.1 Update using iPF

mikeyotoole87

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah, unfortunately not, they replaced my 4 and then gave me the 4S I'd paid for as it'd arrived early.

Sent from my iPad using iPF! Tremble in fear at the mighty iPad!!

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mikeyotoole87 said:
Ah, unfortunately not, they replaced my 4 and then gave me the 4S I'd paid for as it'd arrived early.

Sent from my iPad using iPF! Tremble in fear at the mighty iPad!!

Still great. Enjoy!!

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Early this morning, one of my cats knocked my iPad off the night stand and it fell 2' down to the floor. Normally that's not a problem because my floor is carpeted and I have a thick soft sheepskin rug there. But, by dumb luck, I had placed my DSLR on the floor right by the night stand. Normally, I don't, but I had been doing a bit of late-night/early morning astrophotography with the camera (14 degrees out but GORGEOUS!) and got back in at 2am. I just wanted to hunker down in my warm bed and view the pics I took via SD card and adapter on the iPad. The iPad had a protective case around the back and sides plus a screen protector. Normally I dont use the Smart Cover when I'm at home. Anyway, something outside spooked my cat and he ran across the night stand, stepping on the iPad. It literally flipped over then landed screen-first onto the DSLR's flash hot shoe (that metal part on the top of the camera where you attach an external flash unit), smashing the glass. Freak accident. Now I'm kicking myself for having put the camera there in the first place.

This is my iPad 2 which I bought brand new 8 months ago.

The nearest Apple Store is three hours away in Portland. I called them and told the rep about it. He was sympathetic and said he wasn't sure what could be done in terms of repair or replacement, cost-wise, etc. Even though he was made aware that I live three hours away, he still suggested I make an appointment and come in to have it looked at. Of course, he suggested I do a full backup on it first.

It seems to function okay, so far. The screen protector is keeping a lot of the broken glass in place. A bit difficult to do anything in the broken area, though.

What more could happen to me, now that I've been permanently disabled due to a career-ending work injury over a year ago and am now on a fixed low income ($950/mo, which is one reason why I moved back to Oregon...the lower costly living)?

I'm thinking of making the trip and seeing if they may actually give me a replacement.

Photos of the damage plus...at least I got good pics from last night. One photo is the constellation Orion. The other is star trails over my little town, taken on the highway above and away from where I live.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Attachments

• image-2386011236.png
    image-2386011236.png
    233.7 KB · Views: 710
  • image-3493021121.png
    image-3493021121.png
    292 KB · Views: 3,712
  • image-2219725325.png
    image-2219725325.png
    279.5 KB · Views: 742
  • image-3517938489.png
    image-3517938489.png
    484 KB · Views: 418

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mtnmedic-sorry to hear about your ipad. I hope that you can get something worked out with Apple. Good luck! Nice photos of the stars, but the way!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So sorry to hear what happened, I suggest you do make an appointment with apple and fingers crossed they'll replace it for you. Absolutely love that last photo! Thank you for sharing those especially under the circumstances. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

mr_president

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the iPad. I hope they are able to repair it at no or minimal cost.

Sent from Mr_President's iPad using iPF. 32GB 3g

Shihid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got iPad 32 gig, am using apple cover, I placed it on speaker of music system , with vibration it slipped and down on the floor , 5 feet height and glas was facing downwards, nothing happened :) and once before from bed ....now am more care full then ever ..

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gees you've been so lucky and from 5 feet too, thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPad using iPF

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Shihid said:
I got iPad 32 gig, am using apple cover, I placed it on speaker of music system , with vibration it slipped and down on the floor , 5 feet height and glas was facing downwards, nothing happened :) and once before from bed ....now am more care full then ever ..

Yes don't keep pressing your luck!!! You have an iPad guardian angel in your home.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, here's an update:

Yesterday I made an appointment at the Apple Store in Portland for 1:30pm earlier this afternoon. The store is 3.5 hours from my house. My car isn't in the best of shape, so I don't trust it for long drives, especially over the Cascade Mountans passes. So, I reserved a rental car. I drove the one hour to the airport to pick up the rental and leave my car in the parking. $29 for the rental plus $28 to add it to my insurance for the day and $8 for 24 hours parking of my car. Off I went to downtown Portland. Nice to drive a new car, for a change.

I went Into the store and met up with a guy from customer service, showed him my iPad and explained to him what happened. He said even though it's only eight months old and still under warranty, the damage essentially voids the whole warranty (what AppleCare told me). He said it would have to be replaced and an out-of-warranty replacement would cost $415 for the iPad 2, 64GB with 3G. But they could do it there and then. He was very apologetic for being the bearer of bad news. I just frowned and said "I do wish someone would've told me that before I set out on a three-and-half-hour drive." Besides, I told him, I didn't have that kind of coin to drop down-though I could do $100 or so, if necessary- considering my financial situation changed dramatically when I suffered a workplace accident that left me with permanent injury and a small, fixed income. And that I really depend upon my iPad (I do!). Again, he was apologetic. I said I wasn't sure what to do at that point, but that I was tired after the long drive and really needed to sit down to get off my feet (bad knees). He showed me a place I could sit at and asked me to wait so he could go talk to one of his colleagues. After several minutes he returned and said "Don't worry, we'll get you taken care of. A tech will be out to see you but it might be a little while....we're running a bit behind and these people (showing me the list of a handful of yet-to-be-assisted customers on his iPhone) are ahead of you". I told him it was no problem, as I had nothing else to do and would be okay so long as I had a place to sit. He left and I passed the time playing with a MacBook Air (a VERY nice machine, I might add).

About ten to fifteen minutes later, a tech from the Genius Bar approached me and introduced himself. I showed him my iPad, explaining everything I mentioned above and we talked for a bit. He took the iPad to the work room for evaluation. Upon his return, he said normally-in a situation like this-they would charge $415 to do an out-of-warranty replacement but, for this one time, they would make an exception and replace my iPad at no cost. Boy, did I feel relieved. He took the broken iPad with him and came back out with a new one. We activated it, wiped the data off the broken one, and he told me the new iPad carries the balance of the original warranty. I signed the work order, thanked him, shook his hand and walked out of the store happy. Count me as a fan.

Apple may be a lot of things, but uncaring jerks they ain't. At least from my perspective. Every experience I have had with Apple customer service so far-especially in their stores-has been positive. I also will also concur here that it DOES pay to be honest and polite with their staff.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts