What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broadband hotel connection

mike222

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am going overseas shortly and some of the hotels that I have booked at have "broadband internet", I'm not sure if that means wi-fi or not.
If not is there a way to connect the ipad to a broadband plug in the wall as you would a laptop?
Any suggestions would be welcome.

Regards,
Mike

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple's recommended solution for this is <surprise!> the Airport Express. Only $99 at your local Apple store and you'll need an ethernet cable in case the hotel doesn't supply them.

There are other portable routers for about half the price that'll work as well.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can always call the Hotel, and ask.
You can take a small WiFi router with you. All you need to remember is to cancel the Dialer within it. Much cheaper than anything else.

T

TJK

The airport express is a pretty solid mobile wifi router and there are some good offerings from Cradlepoint as well.

sticky1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, no, no.... You don't need anything other than your pad. Most hotels or motels have wifi or Internet access. When you turn on your pad you have to open up their website, sign in, most likely with your room number and then your in. It's really no big deal. Ask the front desk when u get there.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, no, no.... You don't need anything other than your pad. Most hotels or motels have wifi or Internet access. When you turn on your pad you have to open up their website, sign in, most likely with your room number and then your in. It's really no big deal. Ask the front desk when u get there.
But the OP specifically said he was going overseas. Are you willing to guarantee him that he will have WiFi service in HIS hotel? Taking a router is cheap insurance!

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First thing, I would find out how much the hotel is going to charge you for access. I travel quite a bit myself, and prices can be so high as to make access not worth it. I just got back from South Africa, and access there is $10 per 30 minutes without data. I don't think I have ever had free wireless outside of the USA, even in European countries. I would start there before looking to buy any more equipment.

npog99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not so easy

I am going overseas shortly and some of the hotels that I have booked at have "broadband internet", I'm not sure if that means wi-fi or not.
If not is there a way to connect the ipad to a broadband plug in the wall as you would a laptop?
Any suggestions would be welcome.

Regards,
Mike

I just came back from Germany. Berlin was our main destination, although we drove quite a bit around the country. WE FOUND NO WIFI CONNECTION ANYWHERE WE WENT, except for the hotel (Hilton in Berlin). However, the cost of using WiFi at the Hilton was quite high. Thankfully, we had our MacBook, and used Boingo to connect ($56 for the month, with connections anywhere in the world where they have a partner). We found this to be the cheapest way to go.

However, some of Boingo partners are NOT SETUP to work with iPads (like our Hilton connection). In that case, you would need a full fledge computer.

Also, I have not used a wireless router at a hotel for a while. But, when I did in the past, it never worked. It seems that hotels' do this on purpose so that you cannot use more than one computer on the same connection should you create a LAN. I am not sure if this is the case any longer.

Most reactions