What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British Library app - new!

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The British Library has launched a book reader with antique books in the list. The App is free and looks like it is at a "Beta+" stage.

It shows promise, and could be an alternative to Kindle and Google Books and the University developed library of historical books.

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Richard,this is of great interest.
My hubby is a mad keen history buff/ slash iPad reader so
The thought of the british library to him is the holy grail of books.
Will investigate and see what is possible.

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
55julie55 said:
Richard,this is of great interest.
My hubby is a mad keen history buff/ slash iPad reader so
The thought of the british library to him is the holy grail of books.
Will investigate and see what is possible.

Have you ever visited the BL? I have spent many many a happy hour there as a reader, and have organised a couple of visits. A while back, I posted one or two photos of the BL on the Architecture thread.

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is a dream of ours to visit and spend time browsing.
Great books of the world.
Just out if interest hubby is loading the app right now.
He is beside himself

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
55julie55 said:
It is a dream of ours to visit and spend time browsing.
Great books of the world.
Just out if interest hubby is loading the app right now.
He is beside himself

Fantastic!

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Richard, I hope you don't mind, but I've moved your post and the discussion with Julie to the Apps section to start a new thread. This news will be of great interest to a number of members - myself included - thank you!

There is also a paid version (£3.99) of the free app, which presumably includes more content.

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DM51 said:
Richard, I hope you don't mind, but I've moved your post and the discussion with Julie to the Apps section to start a new thread. This news will be of great interest to a number of members - myself included - thank you!

There is also a paid version (£3.99) of the free app, which presumably includes more content.

That's absolutely fine.

I've only just started exploring the app, and haven't checked the paid section. Would it be worth contacting BL for more info to be posted direct to forum or via a link?

Last edited:

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please by all means post further information in this thread - links, related material and whatever else might be of interest to members. :)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DM51 said:

just looking at the two apps the free one appears to have access to more titles whereas the paid one has limited titles (around 100 I think) but much more depth on the subjects plus it has features related to current exhibitions......currently science fiction.

The Archangel

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This new app is a winner.

Hubby now surfing the book titles and madly saving to bookshelf.
In his own words.
I could kiss the ground!
He is one happy book reader.
Loves the old original covers
Thanks Richard

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Richard Brown said:
The British Library has launched a book reader with antique books in the list. The App is free and looks like it is at a "Beta+" stage.

It shows promise, and could be an alternative to Kindle and Google Books and the University developed library of historical books.

Good stuff!!

How to stop being notified of new posts, in the IPF app, goto the subscribed tab, then swipe left/right on the threads you no longer want to follow - I bleed in 6 colours

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
just looking at the two apps the free one appears to have access to more titles whereas the paid one has limited titles (around 100 I think) but much more depth on the subjects plus it has features related to current exhibitions......currently science fiction.

The Archangel

The exhibitions at BL are excellent.
I also like the turning pages programme which BL pioneered. I think the programme can be accessed on line.

Most reactions

Latest posts