What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brazil coverage

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problem - but you'd do well to buy a local microSIM to avoid roaming charges. The AT&T 3G iPad needs to have been 'initialised' on AT&T first in the US before it will work overseas.

Below is a link to the GSM World Forum site which gives the licenced operators in Brazil, their websites and coverage maps.

GSM Coverage Maps | Brazil

Tim
Scotland

OP
R

rrusso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Brazil

Tim:

Please excuse my ignorance as I'm a blackberry user, but intrested in buying an Ipad to use when I travel. assuming I registered the ipad with At&t, if I buy a local sim card and install it, will my email still arrive as noral?

Unfortunately the people working in AT&T stores have very little interantional knowledge

Thanks

Roder Russo

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim:

Please excuse my ignorance as I'm a blackberry user, but intrested in buying an Ipad to use when I travel. assuming I registered the ipad with At&t, if I buy a local sim card and install it, will my email still arrive as noral?

Unfortunately the people working in AT&T stores have very little interantional knowledge

Thanks

Roder Russo

Yes - they'll be no problem. Your email settings are completely independent of the 3G settings. You may have to set up a few things for the new microSIM to work - usually it's the APN (Access Point Name) and (optional) PIN code - depending on the Service Provider. In my case, the insertion of the microSIM set this all up for me and I was 'good to go' straight away.

But, just to re-iterate, you'll not have any problems getting your email. OK - no problem receiving your email, it's just possible you might have some problem sending email when you're away from your 'home' network. This is a 'technical' thing known as 'Port 25 relay'. It will depend on your current outgoing email server settings - do you know whether your current outgoing email goes via 'Port 25'?

To find this 'Settings', 'Mail, Contacts, Calendar', Account <-select the account your interested in if you've more than one->, 'Account', 'SMTP', 'Primary Server', 'Server Port' <- this is what you're looking for - is it 25?

If so, you will probably have a problem (but we can fix it!). In the 'olden' days, when our grandfathers were setting up the Internet and email, they thought you'd need a password to receive your mail but never thought about assigning one for you to *send* your mail. After all, you need a key to unlock your postbox, but you don't need a key to send your (paper) mail.

The problem is, however, that anyone who knows your email address - i.e. all your friends and colleagues could send an email and pretend to be you - in more or less the same way they could post a letter and pretend to be you.

The original SMTP email, therefore, did not have a password to access it and used to send via the TCP/IP (Internet protocol) Port 25. When you're at home and logged on to your Internet Service Provider you're OK because your service provider knows it's you logged on - you had to enter an account and password to get access or you are calling from a fixed broadband landline. So this is not a problem.

But when you're away from home (say in Brazil) and trying to send email from there over the Internet via your service provider's email server, they have no proof of your identity because you don't have to enter a password. So they prohibit Port 25 email relay.

However, most service providers have updated their outgoing email servers to use a different port number and, for that port number, they require a password.

So, if your SMTP port number is not 25, you'll be OK. If it is 25 we need to do a little more work - so check it out and get back to us if there's a problem.

OK - apologies for the long and generally incomprehsible response. I'll try to keep quiet and go away.......

But - again - get back to us if there's a problem.

Tim
Scotland

OP
R

rrusso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Brazil

Tim:

First let me say a sincere thanks for taking the time to educate a novice. I will heed your advise and check the settings. Looks like I'll be learning on this site

Thanks

Roder

Eduardof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim:

Thanks

Roder Russo

Yes - they'll be no problem. Your email settings are completely independent of the 3G settings. You may have to set up a few things for the new microSIM to work - usually it's the APN (Access Point Name) and (optional) PIN code - depending on the Service Provider. In my case, the insertion of the microSIM set this all up for me and I was 'good to go' straight away.

But, just to re-iterate, you'll not have any problems getting your email. OK - no problem receiving your email, it's just possible you might have some problem sending email when you're away from your 'home' network. This is a 'technical' thing known as 'Port 25 relay'. It will depend on your current outgoing email server settings - do you know whether your current outgoing email goes via 'Port 25'?

To find this 'Settings', 'Mail, Contacts, Calendar', Account <-select the account your interested in if you've more than one->, 'Account', 'SMTP', 'Primary Server', 'Server Port' <- this is what you're looking for - is it 25?

If so, you will probably have a problem (but we can fix it!). In the 'olden' days, when our grandfathers were setting up the Internet and email, they thought you'd need a password to receive your mail but never thought about assigning one for you to *send* your mail. After all, you need a key to unlock your postbox, but you don't need a key to send your (paper) mail.

The problem is, however, that anyone who knows your email address - i.e. all your friends and colleagues could send an email and pretend to be you - in more or less the same way they could post a letter and pretend to be you.

The original SMTP email, therefore, did not have a password to access it and used to send via the TCP/IP (Internet protocol) Port 25. When you're at home and logged on to your Internet Service Provider you're OK because your service provider knows it's you logged on - you had to enter an account and password to get access or you are calling from a fixed broadband landline. So this is not a problem.

But when you're away from home (say in Brazil) and trying to send email from there over the Internet via your service provider's email server, they have no proof of your identity because you don't have to enter a password. So they prohibit Port 25 email relay.

However, most service providers have updated their outgoing email servers to use a different port number and, for that port number, they require a password.

So, if your SMTP port number is not 25, you'll be OK. If it is 25 we need to do a little more work - so check it out and get back to us if there's a problem.

OK - apologies for the long and generally incomprehsible response. I'll try to keep quiet and go away.......

But - again - get back to us if there's a problem.

Tim
Scotland

Tim! Please I need your help...I was reading today this forum, and I want to know if I can buy any iPad 2 3G in CANADA! I live in Brazil, and I want to know if all the mobile services there are GSM tecnology! Would I have to configurate the iPad 3G service in Canada and then change the sim card for a Brazilian micro-chip??? I hope that you can be fast!!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've replied to your PM. It appears that the earlier advice that the iPad needs to be initialised in the US or Canada was not correct and many Members have reported they had no trouble in using a US (or Canadian) iPad back in their own country. However, the advice to only purchase an AT&T (in the US) model still stands - for sure Verizon models will not work in most other countries.

Tim

lovetera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The AT&T 3G iPad needs to have been 'initialised' on AT&T first in the US before it will work overseas.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The AT&T 3G iPad needs to have been 'initialised' on AT&T first in the US before it will work overseas.

We now have over a dozen Members who have purchased iPads in the US and have brought them straight back to their home country without first initialising them. Indeed, I've been in contact with an importer who imports US AT&T iPads and says there is no problem initialising them in his country even though they are new and boxed.

For sure, we did get some earlier reports of problems, but these seems to have been a result of users not quite understanding the initialisation process. So, unless there's concrete evidence to the contrary, my view is that there is no problem using an AT&T iPad overseas without first initialising it.

Tim

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought one of the very first iPads ordered through the developer pre release program. That had no problem with a Malaysia SIM card, back in April 2010. It was never powered up in the US.

Since that time I have ordered more than 20 iPads, all US store, AT&T models. None have been opened until arriving in Malaysia. None have had any issue with a local SIM card.

-t

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought one of the very first iPads ordered through the developer pre release program. That had no problem with a Malaysia SIM card, back in April 2010. It was never powered up in the US.

Since that time I have ordered more than 20 iPads, all US store, AT&T models. None have been opened until arriving in Malaysia. None have had any issue with a local SIM card.

-t

The definitive word - many thanks. I think this settle the issue once and for all.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts