What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brand new to iPad

putney1477

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there I just purchased my first iPad. I am a long time android tablet and android phone user.

I have a few noob questions. I really like the iPad, is there a way to sync my android phone with it? Specifically the apps? I noticed that he apps that I have already purchased I have to repurchase. I am assuming that's because android is from the Google play store as apple is from the app store.

I love the calendar set up, face time (the main reason why I bought it). Its much clearer than oovoo and Skype.

I don't like how all the emails come to one inbox. I have downloaded the gmail app. Can in remove gmail form the stock email app and just keep my Comcast and yahoo on that one?

I do miss my widgets on my tablet. I would be all over the iPad if I had an iPhone. That is not an option at this time. I like to root, unlock and mod my phones.

I'm just trying to weigh the pros and cons of the iPad vs android tablet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Heather

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there I just purchased my first iPad. I am a long time android tablet and android phone user.

I have a few noob questions. I really like the iPad, is there a way to sync my android phone with it? Specifically the apps? I noticed that he apps that I have already purchased I have to repurchase. I am assuming that's because android is from the Google play store as apple is from the app store.

I love the calendar set up, face time (the main reason why I bought it). Its much clearer than oovoo and Skype.

I don't like how all the emails come to one inbox. I have downloaded the gmail app. Can in remove gmail form the stock email app and just keep my Comcast and yahoo on that one?

I do miss my widgets on my tablet. I would be all over the iPad if I had an iPhone. That is not an option at this time. I like to root, unlock and mod my phones.

I'm just trying to weigh the pros and cons of the iPad vs android tablet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Heather

Hi, Heather! Welcome to iPF!

Google Play Store and App Store are different and can't be synced. The apps you like in Play Store have to be downloaded and purchased in App Store as well. You won't always find exactly the same apps in both stores.

You should be able to remove Gmail from the Mail app. Go to Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Tap Google Mail, and you can delete it.

Last edited:
OP
P

putney1477

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, Heather! Welcome to iPF!

Google Play Store and App Store are different and can't be synced. The apps you like in Play Store have to be downloaded and purchased in App Store as well. You won't always find exactly the same apps in both stores.

You should be able to remove Gmail from the Mail app. Go to Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Tap Google Mail, and you can delete it.

Awesome!! Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just a heads up though regarding common apps between the two OS platforms is that some may be free in the Google Play Store but not on Apple's App Store, which is a real downer for some of the more popular apps on Android. Since they're completely different OS', unfortunately you can't port them over :(

Depending on what features you're looking to "resurrect" on your new iPad that was present in your old Android, you could potentially jailbreak your device and get similar or the same widgets back onto your device to get back that old comfortable feel that you're accustomed to.

Most reactions

Latest posts