What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brand New iPad 2 - Problems with Setup

belliott88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

I got a new iPad 2 for Christmas, and I've been trying for a while to set it up.

When I plug it in to charge, it brings up the Apple logo. A few minutes later, it tells me to connect to iTunes. When I unplug the iPad from the wall and plug it into the USB port, nothing happens. It wont turn on, no logo appears, and the computer doesn't recognize that it has been plugged in.

When I move it back to the wall for charging, the Apple logo appears, it tells me to plug it into iTunes, and eventually turns itself back off and wont communicate with me anymore. It will turn itself back on and go back to the Apple logo after a minute of two of not responding.

I am very frustrated. The same port was used to back up my iPhone a few minutes ago, so I know that the problem isn't with my computer.

PLEASE HELP ME! I'm not sure if it is a hardware problem or if there is something I can do to fix it.

Thanks!

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try using a different lead. I've had my iPad 2 for quite a while now and not too long ago it just refused to connect to my computer. I tried lots of different things and in the end I realised the lead had broken. Hope you find the problem soon.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To start off with trouble-shooting: What version of iTunes do you have installed? It's best to have the latest and greatest (which you can get from the Apple web site). Then, once you've got the newest iTunes (and have rebooted your computer), plug your iPad2 directly into a USB port on the computer (don't use a hub or a dock). Then, wait. Sometimes, it takes a while for your computer's USB driver/software to recognize a new device and for iTunes to recognize a new device and so start the process.

Have iTunes running when you plug it in and wait to see what happens. It may take a while - so have patience.

If that doesn't work, or if you already have the latest iTunes, let us know and we'll move on to trouble-shooting step #2.

Marilyn

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, and belliott88:

I've merged your two threads together. Please, don't make multiple posts for the same problem/question. Not only is it against the forum rules, it confuses people trying to follow the conversation.

So, I've deleted your other post.

Thanks for understanding.

Marilyn

OP
B

belliott88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi!

I have the latest version of iTunes, and I've also tried multiple leads. The computer has been rebooted, and still nothing. If I try my phone, it recognizes it immediately. The iPad still wont turn on unless it is plugged into the wall. Even then, it only displays the apple screen or the iTunes screen, and it reboots randomly.

Thank you for the help!

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you tried starting itunes and then connecing the ipad? Keep in mind that the pc usb port doesn't put out the current needed for the ipad to indicate it is charging.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, since it's a new iPad, don't forget that you have 90 days of free tech support from Apple. If you end up using it, please let us know how it goes and what the fix was.

BillPorter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had same problem - returned iPad 2 to store and got a new iPad 2. It still had same problem - screen that only showed the USB and iTunes logo.

Problem resolved by holding down the on/off button on top of iPad and the start button on the face of screen for a few seconds that reset the iPad.

Most reactions