What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brand new 3G iPad 2 unable to use

joshkramer42

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all. I'd love to see if someone could help me out. In reading the threads, I know that it's impossible to have a bricked iPad...and I've got some fight in me, so I'm ready to do what I've gotta do before I decide to take it back to where I got it from.

So I open the box, pull out the iPad, activate it with iTunes, and then proceed to upgrade to iOS 5 because it wasn't originally on there. I'm at work currently so I'm doing this on a Win7 machine...but I'm heading home to my MacBook Pro. During the update it downloads, unpacks, installs, and attempts to verify and reload the firmware. It then stops about 75% of the way through and says that an error has been encountered and that it can't restore the firmware with an error code of (-1). When I unplug and plug it back in it says that it's detecting an iPad in recovery mode and that all it can do is recover and update...but it only does the same thing. Mind you again...it's not jailbroken, and I'm not trying to jailbreak at this point...but if that's what I have to do to fix it then that's fine. Any help would be wonderful!

Thanks!

OP
J

joshkramer42

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I have no idea what was wrong, but I sync'd it to my MacBook pro using the restore function and it worked like a gem the first time. Must be a Windows thing...which is why I have nothing but Apple hardware in my house :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't have trouble activating a total of nine iDevices on Windows laptops or netbooks over several years, and I'd consider myself having limited tech know-how, especially when I got my first iDevice not that many years ago.

Maybe your work PC is set up to not allow such uses. I know that at my company, we're warned to not load anything without consulting our IT people first, and many functions are limited to administrators or super users.

Most reactions

Latest posts