What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brainwavz M1 review

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The M1 are an intermediate earphone in the Brainwavz range coming in between the Delta and Sx range of earphones. Although these are priced lower than any Sx models, they include an excellent package with the earphones accompanied by a rigid carry case, a cable clip, 2 pairs each of small, medium & large silicon tips, 1 pair of bi-flange tips and a pair of Comply foam tips. The only thing missing from the Sx package are a pair of tri-flange tips along with a cable tidy for storing when in the case. It's great to see this kind of package at this price point and I'm surprised Brainwavz offer so much for the money.
The earphones themselves are of the in ear monitor (IEM) variety and designed to be worn with the audio cables over and down the back of the ears instead of hanging straight down. This has the benefit of offering more support to keep the earphones in place as well as cutting down on cable phonics. The housings are fashioned from plastic which is one indication of the lower price point of the Sx range but they still feel solidly built and are smaller than the higher end models. These are connected to your audio source of choice by a round twisted cable which is easy to manage and resists tangles. The connections and strain reliefs are smaller than the higher end models but feel sturdy although they are missing from the connection to each earphone.

As always, I always recommend 'burning in' for a good 10 hours or more by leaving the earphones connected to an audio source with a variety of music. Dynamic drivers such as these typically sound a little different after this process and will give their final sound.
Because these earphones are physically smaller than the Sx series, they can't quite match their smooth strong bass but still offer more in this regard than the Delta earphones which already sounded good. Sonically, just like the price, the M1 fit somewhere in the middle.
They have a tight, well defined bass with highs that are always audible but not as pronounced as the higher end models. The middle of the audio range is well represented and blend in nicely with the rest of the audio range. Depending on the track, vocals can stand out but not as much when accompanied by a busy backing score. The vocals still sound very good on complex tracks, it's more a case of the mix doesn't allow any specific part of the range to take over. For the record, these carry an official frequency range of 20hz - 20khz and a impedance of 32 ohms.
The better the quality of the track, the more smaller details pop out but these earphones are not as revealing as higher end models and 128kb tracks can safely provide an enjoyable listen.
After using the M1s for around a week, I can see them easily being a single pair of do it all earphones for pretty much all types of music. There are better sounding earphones out there but for the most part, these sound very good indeed and you would be paying more money for a better listening experience. I've listened to a variety of different music genres with the M1s and they handled all very well.
These are comfortable to wear and the selection of tips on offer contribute to this as well as help isolate you from outside sounds. Not everything is blocked out but the vast majority is to make listening to quieter passages easy going and these are on a par with anything else I have tested.
I actually prefer to be able to hear louder external noises when wearing earphones for safety reasons so would consider these ideal for normal day to day use.
For the money, you are getting a great earphone with the M1. Brainwavz have put together a great package from the audio and build quality to the supplied case and selection of ear tips. I would love to see a pair of these designed with an in-line remote/microphone for mobile phone use but otherwise have no negatives of note. I consider these very good all round earphones indeed, and yet again confirms Brainwavz as a company capable of producing excellent value for money in the earphone market.
I got these from http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-M1...s=brainwavz+m1

Video review:

Attachments

• Brainwavz M1 review2.jpg
    Brainwavz M1 review2.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 267
  • Brainwavz M1 review1.jpg
    Brainwavz M1 review1.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 254

Most reactions

Latest posts