What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Box.net

antoinetteoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am wondering if anyone can talk me thru how to use box.net from my iPad? I am primarily using it to save files from my email, ie word files etc. I have done a couple of docs in docs to go and I want to save to box.net?? An ideas.

I also want to save stuff to icloud so I can access it straight from the cloud? Is this possible or is the iCloud just a synching program

Heyu guys can help as I am very new to all of this

Antoinette

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've moved this to the Help section, where I think you might receive better attention.

Tim

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am wondering if anyone can talk me thru how to use box.net from my iPad? I am primarily using it to save files from my email, ie word files etc. I have done a couple of docs in docs to go and I want to save to box.net?? An ideas.

I also want to save stuff to icloud so I can access it straight from the cloud? Is this possible or is the iCloud just a synching program

Heyu guys can help as I am very new to all of this

Antoinette
If you downloaded Box for your iPad there are three files in it already, an overview video and two PDF files, a printed overview and how to use Box to save files, etc. There's more on their website as well:

Box | Simple Online Collaboration: Online File Storage, FTP Replacement, Team Workspaces

Each iPad app saves files in its own database. iCloud syncs files from many different apps. In your Settings > iCloud > Documents and Data > Switch "On". As you mentioned, iCloud is there to sync existing files between iOS devices as well as computers using it. If you're looking to simply upload and/or download files outside of specific apps that's not what it does. More here:

Apple - iCloud - Your content. On all your devices.

If you're interested in saving files in "the cloud" you should probably look into a free DropBox account. It's a very popular program, highly recommended. It works with many different apps (IIRC including DocsTogo) and is capable of syncing files on your iPad as well as on your computer, smart phone, etc. You can easily upload and download files anywhere, anytime as well as share them with others if you'd like.

Dropbox - Simplify your life

Last edited:
OP
A

antoinetteoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi thanks for your reply.

Somewhat you're saying is I can't upload to box net lets say from my USB on my laptop?

I see what you're saying about drop box...thanks!

I still can't access iCloud though... Everything synchs to it, but how do I get the info when I need it... I've set up @ me email address... Although I don't know why that's necessary....

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi thanks for your reply.

Somewhat you're saying is I can't upload to box net lets say from my USB on my laptop?

I see what you're saying about drop box...thanks!

I still can't access iCloud though... Everything synchs to it, but how do I get the info when I need it... I've set up @ me email address... Although I don't know why that's necessary....
If you don't have your iPad with you or you're away from your personal computer you can access iCloud via a web browser here:

https://www.icloud.com

However if you have iCloud set up on your iPad and/or computer and you have access to one of them you don't need to do that as everything it's syncing is already available to you on whatever device you're using...that's the basic concept. iCloud isn't "cloud storage" in the Dropbox sense...it's designed to sync information between devices.

@me.com gives you an email account which, again, iCloud can sync across all devices...plus if you're away you can log into iCloud (above link), read and reply to your email, view your Contacts, etc.

I haven't used Box enough to know what you can and can't do with it. After looking at it briefly I think you can only upload/download files from within their program. We'll both need to read the instructions that come with it I guess. :)

OP
A

antoinetteoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again you're very good for replying to me. I feel stupid for asking so many questions!

I am trying to access iCloud to check my files.. Checking from iPhone...it's telling me to set up iCloud on this Device...whats that about?

Let me explain....I understand that iCloud is saving everything in the background right....ok I'm a teacher and I want to access files which iCloud saves.......and I want to access it from my iPad in the classroom..can I do this??

My iCloud appears grey in the settings of my iPad...am I doing something wrong??

So sorry about al of this ... I guess I just want to get the most from iCloud

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can not manage your files on iCloud. The apps that show are all there is.

The other iCloud services work directly with their apps. If you need Pages files, you must access them with the Pages app. If you want to see what Music files you have, you must use the Purchases section of the Music app.

The only other access you have is through the iCloud settings/preferences. There is some utility on Windows that I'm not familiar with, but I'm sure it's similar to the Mac and iDevice controls. This where you turn iCloud on for the device and enter your account information. You can also purchase mores storage and manage your files. But the management is limited to seeing how much space an app or service is taking up and deleting the content if you wish.

Actually accessing documents in iCloud has to be done through the app that stored them there. Only apps by the same developer can access the same files space on Cloud. It is just as sandboxed as the files system on the iPad itself. This is why other Cloud services like DropBox and Box.net are not going away. You can upload and share public files/folders with those apps.

If iCloud is gray, try logging into iCloud.com from a computer. Enter you Apple ID. If you have not activated iCloud yet, this should do it for you. That's all I can think of. You may want to email Apple Tech support if that does not work.

Most reactions

Latest posts