What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bought an iPad on clist last nite for cheap -could it be stolen?

Rickee67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I bought a used iPad and I was wondering if there could be any potential problems? It works perfectly and I was able to create my acct on it. It is a 9.7 Pro w256gb & cellular model. What should I check if anything?

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Check the icloud settings to see if there is another Apple ID there. If there is, then you are SoL . If not ,then you are good to go. Also keep in mind , if it's too good to be true , it likely is,;possessiing stolen goods is illegal ; and buyer beware.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi I bought a used iPad and I was wondering if there could be any potential problems? It works perfectly and I was able to create my acct on it. It is a 9.7 Pro w256gb & cellular model. What should I check if anything?
Did you set up the iPad from the welcome screen just like on a new iPad? If so, there's no other account associated with it. To be sure, though, go to this site and enter the details requested. It will tell you the activation lock status of your device. https://icloud.com/activationlock
The best time to check this is, of course, before you hand over your money.

Last edited:
OP
R

Rickee67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I did set up the iPad from the welcome screen and it set up and updated without any problems. The seller has also contacted me AFTER I bought it and said that If there are any problems feel free to contact him and he will take care of it. So now I am wondering how do I find out if it has a clean ESN? it has an AT&T sim card installed.

OP
R

Rickee67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have an acct with AT&T, I have a Verizon phone. I also don't intend to activate the iPads cellular . I paid $650 for the pad w/ Apple pencil and all the boxes, so YES it does seem to be too good to be true?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I did set up the iPad from the welcome screen and it set up and updated without any problems. The seller has also contacted me AFTER I bought it and said that If there are any problems feel free to contact him and he will take care of it. So now I am wondering how do I find out if it has a clean ESN? it has an AT&T sim card installed.
There is no ESN for the iPad. ESN numbers are used on CDMA devices with no SIM card, like Verizon iPhones, which use the SIM card only for LTE cellular data services. You could check with AT&T to see if the IEMI number has been blacklisted. That's a sure sign that the iPad has been reported as lost or stolen.

OP
R

Rickee67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK so I went HERE and entered int the IMEI and it said "not blacklisted" & "activation status CLEAR". So I guess that I am in the clear?

Heres pics of everything I got from the seller (including a handmade iPad case).

20160606_090919.jpg 20160606_091015.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK so I went HERE and entered int the IMEI and it said "not blacklisted" & "activation status CLEAR". So I guess that I am in the clear?

Heres pics of everything I got from the seller (including a handmade iPad case).

View attachment 72136 View attachment 72137
It looks like you're in the clear, so far. Just to be safe, keep checking that link I posted on a regular basis for the next few weeks, in case the blacklist status changes.

Most reactions