What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Both cameras stopped working- iPad 4th generation

Karina54

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and new to Apple. I got my iPad as a present for Christmas, so I've only used it for 4 days. I've taken around 10pics and installed 3apps so it is definitely not overloaded. Today when I tried to call someone on Skype the app froze and when they answered they couldn't hear me or see me. I tried to go on PhotoBooth but the 'red curtain' kept on opening and closing constantly and wouldn't let me on it. I tried to use the Camera app and all I got was the Shutter that wouldn't open.

I looked at some of the posts on here, then I tried to switch off the iPad and turn it back on, tried to reboot it using Home and Power buttons, in the end I even restored the factory settings. Nothing worked. What can I do now?

I am less than impressed as a lot of money was spent on it and something is already wrong with it 4 days later!

Thanks for your help!

Bhorne3rd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same problem. I have had my iPad for about 3 weeks now and it is very disheartening to find that the camera does not work. I have also tried everything I could think of to fix it. My next step is to take it in to apple but I know they are just going to reset it back to factory default, which I have done already. I hope someone can help..

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Call Apple. You have 90 days of free AppleCare with any new iPad. They can troubleshoot and if none of that works, they can replace your iPad.

OP
K

Karina54

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I will go to an Apple Store tomorrow.

One more question, I've heard that if you do get a replacement iPad it will typically be a refurbished one 'brown box' as they called it. Is that true? Because to me this sounds pathetic.

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would like to welcome you to this gorgeous online community, where iPad users from all walks of life come together to discuss that very piece of technology and more. I invite you to look around and make some new posts, we could certainly use that! Make yourself at home!

We only ask that you kindly read the forum rules located here: http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rule...ease-read.html.

We welcome our newest member to the forum with enthusiasm and pleasure.

Goofy8275

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score

One more question, I've heard that if you do get a replacement iPad it will typically be a refurbished one 'brown box' as they called it. Is that true? Because to me this sounds pathetic.
Unfortunately, I believe that is true. :(

Goofy8275

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If it were me, I'd call AppleCare in case they can easily help you troubleshoot. The store will require the same troubleshooting and will not just replace any iPad without it. Stores probably are crowded now, and if you go, you might want to make an appointment. Even with an appointment, you might end up waiting.

If there's a hardware prob and you're worried about getting a refurb, just return the iPad and buy anew if you want. Simple and no drama required.

OP
K

Karina54

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem is that it is engraved and I don't think you can return engraved iPads, or can you?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem is that it is engraved and I don't think you can return engraved iPads, or can you?

If something is defective under warranty, engraving won't matter squat.

Anyway, if you'd have called AppleCare, they might've already fixed you up by now.

OP
K

Karina54

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I will have to wait until Monday before I can contact them.

However, thank you very much for your help and advice & thanks a lot for the clever idea of returning it and getting another one! Funnily enough I wouldn't have ever thought of that myself. Thanks again!

Most reactions

Latest posts