What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bookmarks on new iPad mini

Liping

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a new ipad mini with retisga display. But I found there are many bookmarks in chinese alreaady. Why? How those bookmarks are added there? because this brand new, and I use it first time.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple usually includes some default bookmarks in Safari. Things like the Apple Store, some news sites, and the online version of the iPad User Guide (for example). This is probably what you are seeing.

OP
L

Liping

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks twerppoet for your reply. But why so many Chinese bookmarks and faviurates and nothing else?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Where did you buy it, and when you went through the set up, what language and region settings did you choose?

These are what determin the defaults.

If you did not go thruogh an initial setup, then you don't have a brand new device, and the prior owner did not restore it properly.

OP
L

Liping

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did go through initial setup on my ipad mini with retina display. By the way, how can I browse app store? I dont see many apps. There should be 100,000+ apps.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Different countries have different App Stores. What apps are available varies a lot by the store's country. Whatever country you set the iPad up in also determines the default bookmarks and other stuff.

It is possible to change your region and App Store country after the fact.

The Region can be found in Settings > General > International.

However, the App Store is tied to your Apple ID. To change stores you need an Apple ID from the same country. There are instructions for doing that around here somewhere. We can go into details if it turns out to be necessary.

If you've accidentally set the Region and Store for a country you are not in, or don't want to use, it may be easier to start over. Go to Settings > General > Reset and choose Erase All Content and Settings. This will erase everything on the iPad. When it reboots it will take you through the same setup as the first time you powered it up.

If you have already added content, apps, etc. It will be lost.

One last thing. If you are in China, I would talk to a fellow countryman first. Things may work a bit different from what I'm familiar with.

OP
L

Liping

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks twerppoet for your kind reply. It is very helpful.

I have another question:how can I close those applications I opened? I read iPad mini guide and I did not find solution for this.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To force close apps, double tap the Home button, then slide the pictures above the app icons towards the top of the screen.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In general, you do not need to close apps. When you tap the Home button, or switch apps by another method, most apps are frozen in RAM (for a quick restart if you need them again). If your iPad get's low on memory it will automatically clear older apps from RAM to make room for the new ones.

A few apps, like music and navigation, may continue to operate to some degree in the background. Or you may have problem with an app. In those cases the method Johanna suggested will allow you to manually clear those apps from RAM.

Restarting the iPad also clears all apps from RAM.

It's important to understand that when you are looking at the multitask screen that the appearance of an app does not mean it is running, or even loaded into RAM. This is a list of the most recent running apps. They may or may not be in RAM, though the first several probably are (unless you just restarted the iPad). The list only gets cleared if you manually clear it.

bab2010

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If he's from an Android platform, he will probably won't very much agree with your explanation. But yes OP, you do not really need to care about closing up or should I say kill, apps you open. 2 great benefit of it is that it use less battery when relaunching the apps that are already in the background, and second benefit, it launch much faster than if it was kill completely from the back ground.
Some apps I the background can continue to be running though, causing some usage of battery and even some usage of data, that is if your ipad is a 3G, apps like skype and apps like one checking for your location constantly. To prevent those apps to be running in the background causing extrem battery usage and sometime data usage too, go to settings> Privacy> Location service/ there you can prevent some apps of performing location update and stuff related to location service.
Also go to settings> general> background apps refresh/ there you can prevent some apps of running still in the background.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The current version of Android, KitKat, is actually fairly good at memory management and freezing or minimizing resource use by background apps. Or it's supposed to be.

I admit that my confidence in that promise is low enough that I still tend to close things manually on my Nexus 7. However that lack of confidence may have a lot to do with how seldom I use the device.

OP
L

Liping

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Asus transformer pad and it runs slow and battery goes very fast. That is why I purchased this iPad mini with retina display.

Most reactions