What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bookmark Help Please

fixerman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can no longer add any bookmarks to my ipad2 Safari app. When I try to add a bookmark all seems well but the added bookmark just never saves. I have searched and searched for an answer and it is driving me mad.:(

Please help!:)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you open Safari, do you see the icon that looks like an open book? What may be happening is that the bookmarks you are creating are being saved in a different folder than the toolbar, that you see immediately.

Press the bookmark icon. In the left corner of the dropdown box, do you see a button titled "Bookmarks"? If you press that, you should either see all your bookmarks -or- you will see folders with an arrow (looks like this: >). If you press on those folders, you can browse through them to see if your bookmarks are in there (the folders can be many layers deep; as long as they have that ">" sign, you know it's a folder and you can keep going in your search).

Once you find your bookmarks (I hope you do!), you can edit them to move them to where you want them. That's done by pressing the Edit button showing in the top right of that dropdown box.

That's the only explanation I can think of as to where your bookmarks have disappeared. Give that a try and do let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
fixerman

fixerman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you open Safari, do you see the icon that looks like an open book? What may be happening is that the bookmarks you are creating are being saved in a different folder than the toolbar, that you see immediately.

Press the bookmark icon. In the left corner of the dropdown box, do you see a button titled "Bookmarks"? If you press that, you should either see all your bookmarks -or- you will see folders with an arrow (looks like this: >). If you press on those folders, you can browse through them to see if your bookmarks are in there (the folders can be many layers deep; as long as they have that ">" sign, you know it's a folder and you can keep going in your search).

Once you find your bookmarks (I hope you do!), you can edit them to move them to where you want them. That's done by pressing the Edit button showing in the top right of that dropdown box.

That's the only explanation I can think of as to where your bookmarks have disappeared. Give that a try and do let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Marilyn

Thanks Marilyn,

My bookmarks are all there and I can access them ok. What I cannot do is add a new bookmark to the bookmark bar or any bookmark folder. I get as far as adding the bookmark but it just does not save. When I go to the folder that I saved the bookmark to it is not there.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, that's odd! :D

So, try out this tried-and-true method of "fixing" most hinky behavior on the iPad. Think of it as giving the iPad a good [metaphorical] whack. :D Do a restart or reset (or both!) on the iPad; which is:

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

Do let us know if that helped. I'm almost out of ideas, but maybe someone else can chime in (if this doesn't work). Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
fixerman

fixerman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, that's odd! :D

So, try out this tried-and-true method of "fixing" most hinky behavior on the iPad. Think of it as giving the iPad a good [metaphorical] whack. :D Do a restart or reset (or both!) on the iPad; which is:

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

Do let us know if that helped. I'm almost out of ideas, but maybe someone else can chime in (if this doesn't work). Good luck.

Marilyn

I'll give that a try but I'm concerned that I may loose all my apps and settings if I reset the iPad?:confused:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Naw.

The reset of the iPad is a fancy, Apple way of saying that you are re-booting the iPad (just like rebooting a computer). If you follow the steps above, it'll be just fine and you'll lose no data.

The term you're thinking of is restore - which will make you lose your apps and settings (but you can get them back from a backup). But, that's not this and it has to be done with iTunes anyway...

Marilyn

OP
fixerman

fixerman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Naw.

The reset of the iPad is a fancy, Apple way of saying that you are re-booting the iPad (just like rebooting a computer). If you follow the steps above, it'll be just fine and you'll lose no data.

The term you're thinking of is restore - which will make you lose your apps and settings (but you can get them back from a backup). But, that's not this and it has to be done with iTunes anyway...

Marilyn

I have done a reset as you suggested but I still cannot add any more bookmarks. I go through the procedure to add a bookmark but it just does not save. I cannot believe that I am the only one that is experiencing this problem.

Timscuba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same problem. I was able to bookmark before the upgrade to os 5.1. Sure hope someone can help us out

OP
fixerman

fixerman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same problem. I was able to bookmark before the upgrade to os 5.1. Sure hope someone can help us out

Mine was working ok until the upgrade also! I'm surprised at the lack of responses so far. We cannot be the only ones affected. Perhaps folk have just not noticed the problem.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I don't know how to fix your problem. I am able to create, move or delete bookmarks easily within Safari. I don't have the problem you describe (and I'm running on iOS 5.0.1).

Given that reset or restarting the iPad didn't help, it may be time for a trip to an Apple store and let the Geniuses figure it out. Cause I sure don't know!

Sorry.

Marilyn

OP
fixerman

fixerman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I don't know how to fix your problem. I am able to create, move or delete bookmarks easily within Safari. I don't have the problem you describe (and I'm running on iOS 5.0.1).

Given that reset or restarting the iPad didn't help, it may be time for a trip to an Apple store and let the Geniuses figure it out. Cause I sure don't know!

Sorry.

Marilyn

Please don't apologise Marilyn. It is obviously an unusual problem and I appreciate your contribution!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Marilyn, would emptying the multi task bar make any difference. I notice if I do a restart the multi task bar is still loaded. May as well give it a try.
Do the four finger swipe up to reveal your multi task bar along the bottom. It will show all the apps that you have opened at one time or another. Long press one of these apps until they start to jiggle and red minus signs will appear above them all. Press all the minus signs, this will close them, not delete them. It's a good idea to do this regularly just to keep them all running smoothly, I do mine every night. Check and see if it is operating now.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
fixerman

fixerman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marilyn, would emptying the multi task bar make any difference. I notice if I do a restart the multi task bar is still loaded. May as well give it a try.
Do the four finger swipe up to reveal your multi task bar along the bottom. It will show all the apps that you have opened at one time or another. Long press one of these apps until they start to jiggle and red minus signs will appear above them all. Press all the minus signs, this will close them, not delete them. It's a good idea to do this regularly just to keep them all running smoothly, I do mine every night. Check and see if it is operating now.

I have tried that several times over the last few weeks and it makes no difference. At this stage I am about to give up on Safari and try an alternative browser.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I may be grasping at straws here but I'd like you to try one last thing, whenever you load a web page data is stored on your iPad. Have a look here Settings - Safari - Advanced - Website Data. As you will see it shows every web page you've been to and this can add up to quite a lot of data. Clear this out and see if it makes a difference at all.

OP
fixerman

fixerman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a last resort I have deleted all of my existing bookmarks and their folders. It has resulted in me just having a bookmarks menu and I have two Folders called Bookmarks Bar. I can now add new bookmarks but one of the Bookmark Bar folders will not save any bookmarks. I cannot see how I can delete the non functioning Bookmarks Bar folder. If I can remove this folder I can start all over again by saving my bookmarks.

Whilst I was deleting all of my bookmarks I noticed that there was extensive duplication of folders and bookmarks.

Most reactions