Bookmark Help Please

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by fixerman, Dec 6, 2011.

1. fixerman

fixerman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I can no longer add any bookmarks to my ipad2 Safari app. When I try to add a bookmark all seems well but the added bookmark just never saves. I have searched and searched for an answer and it is driving me mad.:(

Please help!:)

2. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    When you open Safari, do you see the icon that looks like an open book? What may be happening is that the bookmarks you are creating are being saved in a different folder than the toolbar, that you see immediately.

Press the bookmark icon. In the left corner of the dropdown box, do you see a button titled "Bookmarks"? If you press that, you should either see all your bookmarks -or- you will see folders with an arrow (looks like this: >). If you press on those folders, you can browse through them to see if your bookmarks are in there (the folders can be many layers deep; as long as they have that ">" sign, you know it's a folder and you can keep going in your search).

Once you find your bookmarks (I hope you do!), you can edit them to move them to where you want them. That's done by pressing the Edit button showing in the top right of that dropdown box.

That's the only explanation I can think of as to where your bookmarks have disappeared. Give that a try and do let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Marilyn

3. fixerman

fixerman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Marilyn,

My bookmarks are all there and I can access them ok. What I cannot do is add a new bookmark to the bookmark bar or any bookmark folder. I get as far as adding the bookmark but it just does not save. When I go to the folder that I saved the bookmark to it is not there.

4. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, that's odd! :D

So, try out this tried-and-true method of "fixing" most hinky behavior on the iPad. Think of it as giving the iPad a good [metaphorical] whack. :D Do a restart or reset (or both!) on the iPad; which is:

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

Do let us know if that helped. I'm almost out of ideas, but maybe someone else can chime in (if this doesn't work). Good luck.

Marilyn

5. fixerman

fixerman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'll give that a try but I'm concerned that I may loose all my apps and settings if I reset the iPad?:confused:

6. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Naw.

The reset of the iPad is a fancy, Apple way of saying that you are re-booting the iPad (just like rebooting a computer). If you follow the steps above, it'll be just fine and you'll lose no data.

The term you're thinking of is restore - which will make you lose your apps and settings (but you can get them back from a backup). But, that's not this and it has to be done with iTunes anyway...

Marilyn

7. fixerman

fixerman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have done a reset as you suggested but I still cannot add any more bookmarks. I go through the procedure to add a bookmark but it just does not save. I cannot believe that I am the only one that is experiencing this problem.

8. Timscuba

Timscuba
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I am having the same problem. I was able to bookmark before the upgrade to os 5.1. Sure hope someone can help us out

9. fixerman

fixerman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Mine was working ok until the upgrade also! I'm surprised at the lack of responses so far. We cannot be the only ones affected. Perhaps folk have just not noticed the problem.

10. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry, but I don't know how to fix your problem. I am able to create, move or delete bookmarks easily within Safari. I don't have the problem you describe (and I'm running on iOS 5.0.1).

Given that reset or restarting the iPad didn't help, it may be time for a trip to an Apple store and let the Geniuses figure it out. Cause I sure don't know!

Sorry.

Marilyn