What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Book-style case

JaiDineshable

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a leather smart cover I love that I use with my Ipad 2 while at home, however I want something more protective while commuting and at school etc.

I have decided I want a book style case and Im looking at either the Portenzo
or the Treegloo. The prices are very similar, so that is no matter.

Any suggestions? If anybody has any of these cases, could you tell me how you feel about them?

Jwin97

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just know that with all these book style cases, you will be waiting for a while. Treegloo states 2-4 weeks on their website now. I've been waiting almost 4 weeks. Portenzo has 4-6 weeks listed on their site. Not sure about dodo or pad&quill. Custom cases and high demand = super long wait times.

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Portenzo is still 4-6 weeks. Pad & Quill is 7-9 days. I think treegloo is 2-4 week depending on how you customize. I just purchased a portenzo composition II. I have a switcheasy now but have been eyeing the bookstyle cases forever and decided to just go ahead and buy one.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Based on general observations and comments:

- Treegloo - at this point, best value for money in terms of quality and customization options. They have been backlogged with orders, sometimes taking as long as 4 weeks, but that's probably because all their cases are handmade-to-order, and that kind of workmanship takes time. Customer service, as evidenced on their Facebook, is generally very good. What I like especially about Treegloo is that they're constantly innovating and improving on the design and features of their cases.

- Portenzo - reportedly taking 4-6 weeks for delivery, but costs slightly more and finishing quality is supposedly better. Customer service is so-so, though: they don't always respond to emails. (I sent them two emails with questions that were never responded to.)

- Pad and Quill - haven't heard much about them, come to think of it. Their cases are marginally more expensive, though, if cost is a factor.

- DodoCase - total non-starter, despite their undeserved reputation. Their iPad2 case has no rear camera port, which is an instant design fail to me. Not sure if their cases have built-in magnetic activation, either. Their ongoing problems with durability of their rubber corners and wood frames have never been rectified going all the way back to iPad 1 cases last year - just Google 'iPad falls out of DodoCase' and you'll see any number of forum threads and YouTube videos complaining about this.

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Based on general observations and comments:

- Treegloo - at this point, best value for money in terms of quality and customization options. They have been backlogged with orders, sometimes taking as long as 4 weeks, but that's probably because all their cases are handmade-to-order, and that kind of workmanship takes time. Customer service, as evidenced on their Facebook, is generally very good. What I like especially about Treegloo is that they're constantly innovating and improving on the design and features of their cases.

- Portenzo - reportedly taking 4-6 weeks for delivery, but costs slightly more and finishing quality is supposedly better. Customer service is so-so, though: they don't always respond to emails. (I sent them two emails with questions that were never responded to.)

- Pad and Quill - haven't heard much about them, come to think of it. Their cases are marginally more expensive, though, if cost is a factor.

- DodoCase - total non-starter, despite their undeserved reputation. Their iPad2 case has no rear camera port, which is an instant design fail to me. Not sure if their cases have built-in magnetic activation, either. Their ongoing problems with durability of their rubber corners and wood frames have never been rectified going all the way back to iPad 1 cases last year - just Google 'iPad falls out of DodoCase' and you'll see any number of forum threads and YouTube videos complaining about this.

Which do you have? I've been considering the portenzo and treegloo. I ordered a portenzo a few days ago, but cancelled it because I still wasn't sure. I hear portenzo is slightly better quality and thinner, but the treegloo has more customization options. Then Pad & Quill's quality is good and they ship faster than them both. I can't decide.

mactech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree on the dodocase, the original for iPad 1 was a quality case though. In general it seems like slow shipping on book style case. Anyone have a CardinalCase? They show five business days on shipping, seems kinda cool with the magnets. www.cardinalcase.com

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jasmynsway said:
Which do you have? I've been considering the portenzo and treegloo. I ordered a portenzo a few days ago, but cancelled it because I still wasn't sure. I hear portenzo is slightly better quality and thinner, but the treegloo has more customization options. Then Pad & Quill's quality is good and they ship faster than them both. I can't decide.

Treegloo. I had it narrowed down to Treegloo vs Portenzo, but what nudged me to Treegloo was (i) the lower cost, (ii) customization options and (iii) Portenzo never responded to my emails. I think both of them produce quality handmade cases, minor differences aside, but for me the above factors tipped my decision toward the former.

Last edited:

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
Treegloo. I had it narrowed down to Treegloo vs Portenzo, but what nudged me to Treegloo was (i) the lower cost, (ii) customization options and (iii) Portenzo never responded to my emails. I think both of them produce quality handmade cases, minor differences aside, but for me the above factors tipped my decision toward the former.

Thanks. I ordered a pad & quill. shipping time is key for me.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I ordered a pad & quill. shipping time is key for me.

Great. It'd be interesting to hear your thoughts on Pad & Quill once you've had a chance to break it in, as it hasn't received many first-hand user experience accounts.

(I tend to take reviews with a huge pile of salt because most of them inevitably say nice things, esp if it's a sponsored item, and the review is often biased by first impressions rather than having actually used it for a reasonable time.)

Jwin97

iPF Noob
Reaction score
5 weeks and still counting on my Treegloo. Just be aware before ordering from them that they like to email you that your order will be shipping when it really won't. They've done this to me twice now and others have experienced the same thing. I would not say customer service is the best.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kira@Medge said:
You should also check out the M-Edge website! The site offers a lot of book-style jackets that will definitely protective your iPad while traveling around school, etc. There is also something called MyEdge, that allows you to design your own iPad jacket which allow you to make it your own.

M-Edge's Trip Jacket was one of my early 'budget-priced' covers back when I was looking for a case, but it was so hard to find a vendor that had the colour I wanted with reasonable shipping costs and ended up looking elsewhere. When other vendors like Treegloo and Portenzo appeared, their price was very competitive for a handmade-to-order book-bound case.

Last edited:

Nancybout

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Customer service n proper reasonable shipping is a must to me or I will not buy...I have zip patience for that,take the money n keep customers waiting week after week!Can I say pet peeve lol

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nancybout said:
Customer service n proper reasonable shipping is a must to me or I will not buy...I have zip patience for that,take the money n keep customers waiting week after week!Can I say pet peeve lol

Consumers need to set their expectations correctly. Small design studios offering made-to-order cases can only fulfill that many orders in a given amount of time, and any additional orders or a sudden jump in orders will easily result in a backlog. While they should manage user expectations properly and give realistic estimates of when they can ship a particular order, being frustrated with them for not being able to ship faster is quite futile and unnecessary. These aren't third-world factory production items, after all. In the short term, waiting a few more weeks is nothing compared to the lifetime enjoyment of owning one.

Nancybout

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oberon is USA made and shipped within two weeks,when a customer is left waiting over a month without money,nor item....pet peeve.lol
some people have more patience:)

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oberon is USA made and shipped within two weeks,when a customer is left waiting over a month without money,nor item....pet peeve.lol some people have more patience:)

Oberon don't customize. They offer a certain number of designs in a small selection of colours, which makes their production line a lot more efficient. By comparison, studios like Treegloo who allow a lot more options, and even offer one-off customization jobs, will take a bit more time to get each case completed.

And you're right: handmade cases aren't really for customers who demand instant gratification.

Most reactions