What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Book Deletion Failure

mutant895

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've deleted 3 books from "Purchased Books" but they still appear as semi-transparent with the word "Paused" on the bottom of the image. How do I get the book to entirely disappear?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Tapping the book should re-initialize the download. You may have to wait for the download to finish before you can delete the book. Yes, I know, irritating; but iBooks probably has to know the book is really there before it can make it really gone.

Hold in mind that a book viewed in the Purchased tab may not actually be on the iPad. If there is a cloud symbol next to it, then what you are seeing is Apple telling you that you own the book and can re-download it again, for free, anytime you want. It is not taking up space on your device. Well, no more than needed to display the icon and description text.

Short of contacting Apple and asking them to permanently remove the book from your account, there is no way to actually delete a book from your Purchased tab. You bought it. Apple considers that it is yours, and that you should be able to find and download it again.

You can hide books from your purchased tab using iTunes on the computer (or the new iBooks app if you own a Mac). This does not delete the book, it just hides it. You can un-hide apps, books, etc. by accessing your Apple ID account though one of the online stores.

If tapping the book to re-start the download does not work, try restarting your iPad (turn it completely off, not just sleep) and open iBooks again.

Good luck.

OP
M

mutant895

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tapping the book should re-initialize the download. You may have to wait for the download to finish before you can delete the book. Yes, I know, irritating; but iBooks probably has to know the book is really there before it can make it really gone.

Hold in mind that a book viewed in the Purchased tab may not actually be on the iPad. If there is a cloud symbol next to it, then what you are seeing is Apple telling you that you own the book and can re-download it again, for free, anytime you want. It is not taking up space on your device. Well, no more than needed to display the icon and description text.

Short of contacting Apple and asking them to permanently remove the book from your account, there is no way to actually delete a book from your Purchased tab. You bought it. Apple considers that it is yours, and that you should be able to find and download it again.

You can hide books from your purchased tab using iTunes on the computer (or the new iBooks app if you own a Mac). This does not delete the book, it just hides it. You can un-hide apps, books, etc. by accessing your Apple ID account though one of the online stores.

If tapping the book to re-start the download does not work, try restarting your iPad (turn it completely off, not just sleep) and open iBooks again.

Good luck.

OP
M

mutant895

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your very thorough explanation of what is actually happening when I try to delete
the book in the Purchased tab. I did follow your advice & re-downloaded the book successfully.
without a cloud symbol which indicates that it is actually on the iPad. It opened without a problem.
I hit Edit in the upper right corner, tapped the book. It became semi-tranparent with a checkmark
on the book. At the same time the word delete appeared in red in the upper left hand corner. I hit
delete & a tab appeared saying Delete This Copy. I clicked on the tab and the book then again
appeared in solid colors but now with the cloud symbol to indicate it was no longer on the iPad.
Now that I know what is actually happening I can live with the result. It was just confusing that
delete did not mean delete. Thank you again. You've been very helpful.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

Delete does mean delete. It just means delete from the iPad, not from Apple's list of things you've purchased; and therefore still own.

If you do not want to see all your purchased books in the iBook app you can go to Settings > iBooks and turn off 'Show All Purchases'. You'll still see those books when you go to the iBooks Store and look under the Purchased tab; but they will no longer show up in you library on the device.

I would have mentioned that before, but I was confused and thought you were talking about seeing the books in the iBook Store under the Purchased tab; not in the iBook app itself.

It's easy to miss the difference, since the iBook Store is entered through the iBook app.

OP
M

mutant895

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Again, thank you so much. It worked like a charm. I've made a copy of your valuable info for future
reference.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You're welcome.

If you have not done so, look in the iBooks Store for the iPad User Guide. It's free, and has a lot of good information. Be sure to get the right one for your iOS version.

OP
M

mutant895

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had done so, first thing upon purchase. Couldn't find the answer to my question which is why I went on the iPad mini forum in search of an answer. Fortunately there was a kind soul (yourself) who patiently took the time to answer my question. I've been a camera buff for many years and always go directly to the manuals before I even touch the cameras. Unfortunately some manuals or user guides leave something to be desired. They're written by folks who already have an intimate knowledge of their products and aren't always approaching it from the point of view of a newbie to the product. I am thankful for all the available forums on the Internet. I've picked up many a tip not even discussed in the manuals, or if so, in a convoluted manner. Also, problems are created by the use of different computers or software that has not been kept up to date.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You are right. The manual does not cover a lot of things. Then again, there is way too much to be included in a basic manual. Maybe there should be an advanced manual. The iPad User Guide is a good introduction. I only mentioned it in case you had not seen it yet. I believe it helps.

One of the things I do, or usually do right after an iOS update, is to go through all the settings on my iPad. Takes an hour or so, and it gives me a general idea of what I can/can't do.

The other thing, like you, is hang out here. I learn more from trying to answer other peoples questions than I could ever learn by just using my iPad on my own. :D

OP
M

mutant895

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my iPad mini I have a very useful app. called "Codebook". Would you know of any way of getting many important notes from my computer (mac) to my Codebook app. via something like drag & drop or some other method without the laborious process of hours of manual typing?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Is this the app? https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/codebook-secure-notebook/id361921889?mt=8

I don't see any kind of import feature, so it's going to be a bit tedious no matter what you do, but you can avoid the typing, probably. It depends on how you have the notes stored on your Mac.

If they are standard txt files, or can be exported as txt files, then you can use DropBox. Once the note is in DropBox you can try to use the Open In feature for each note. If that does not work you can probably copy&paste between the two apps.

If DropBox does not work, you can go with the old email standby. Email the text, or file, to yourself. In Mail either try opening the file and using Open In (like with DropBox) or copy&paste tot he Codebook app.

Given the nature of the Codebook app, you're probably worried about security as well. DropBox enjoys a decent amount of security both online and in transmission. Just don't put the files in the Public directory, and delete them as soon as you are done.

Email is more problematic. It depends on your email provider. iCloud encrypts it's emails in transit and on the server (a recent change). I don't know about the other services.

You can also contact the developers and ask them if they have a recommended method to import notes. Developer Website

Good luck.

Addendum: Just noticed that this is way off topic. It should probably be given it's own thread.

OP
M

mutant895

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, this is the app. that I am using. Very appreciative of your various suggestions. I will try and hope for the best.

Most reactions

Latest posts